Understanding Naming Ionic Formulas: Parentheses and Roman Numerals Explained

In summary, the compounds that you are having trouble with are copper carbon hydrogen peroxide and calcium oxalate. The order that they should be written in is Copper (II) sulfate for the answer to the question about the third problem.
Tabe
Okay, I am so confused about how to determine whether or not you have to use the parenthesis with the Roman numeral. It is confusing me because some of the compounds that I have to write the name for, are ternary compounds, and I'm not sure which order they go in.
:confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Give us an example showing where your confusion lies, and we'll help you out with it.

The problems that I was having trouble with are: CuC2H3O2 and CaC2O4
*the numbers are subscripts by the way*
for the first one I got Copper carbon hydrogen peroxide
for the second one I got Calcium oxalate.
Also, I'm not sure if I did this problem right: Hg2Cl2
For the answer, I got Copper (II) Sulfate. Is that right, or have I been doing this completely wrong?

Tabe said:
The problems that I was having trouble with are: CuC2H3O2 and CaC2O4
*the numbers are subscripts by the way*
for the first one I got Copper carbon hydrogen peroxide
for the second one I got Calcium oxalate.
Also, I'm not sure if I did this problem right: Hg2Cl2
For the answer, I got Copper (II) Sulfate. Is that right, or have I been doing this completely wrong?

The first is actually copper acetate, or Cu(+) CH3COO(-). It is important that you recognize that this has an organic radical. Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a compound (albeit a little unstable - but then, most peroxide linkages are unstable) by itself, and I surely have never heard of it existing as such, as part of another compound.
The second is correct.

As for the third, I'm sure you've mistyped something, because Hg2Cl2 is definitely not copper sulfate ! :eek:

I'll leave this to chem_tr : he's the resident expert in organometallics, and your particular type of problem is rather unusual. Further, it's not clear what level you are at.

Last edited:
Well, for the third problem, I kinda typed the question on the opposite page. The correct problem should have been Hg2Cl2, which I think would be Mercury (I) chloride.

That's right.

1. What is the purpose of parentheses in naming ionic formulas?

Parentheses are used in naming ionic formulas to indicate the presence of multiple ions of the same element in a compound. This is necessary because the charge of an ion can vary depending on the compound it is in, and parentheses help clarify the ratio of these ions in the formula.

2. When are Roman numerals used in ionic formulas?

Roman numerals are used in ionic formulas to indicate the charge of a transition metal ion. This is necessary because transition metals can have more than one possible charge, so the Roman numeral helps specify which one is present in the compound.

3. How do you determine the charge of a transition metal ion?

The charge of a transition metal ion can be determined by the number of electrons it has lost or gained in order to achieve a stable electron configuration. This can be determined by looking at the element's position on the periodic table and its group number.

4. Can a compound have more than one set of parentheses in its ionic formula?

Yes, a compound can have multiple sets of parentheses in its ionic formula if it contains more than one type of ion with different charges. Each set of parentheses will correspond to a different ion in the compound.

5. What is the purpose of understanding naming ionic formulas?

Understanding naming ionic formulas is important in chemistry because it allows us to accurately and efficiently communicate the composition of compounds. This is essential in fields such as medicine, materials science, and environmental science, where precise understanding of chemical compounds is necessary.