1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming of complex ion CuCl4^2-

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Name of complex ion CuCl4^2-

3. The attempt at a solution

I wrote tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion and my teacher says it is incorrect. I should write tetrachlorocopper(II) ion

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2
    Cuprate i think would mean there is oxygen combined with the copper. like for chlorate(1) which is ClO-. the -ate suffix generally means an oxide.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    It's possible that they are saying that by writing copper(II) you are implying cuprate, and therefore don't need to say it. For example, nowadays we don't say sulphite and sulphate, we say sulphate(II) and sulphate(III)... I think.

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

best guess right now is : tetrachlorocuprate(II) but better is to check in a General Chemistry textbook or an Inorganic Chemistry textbook.

6. Apr 28, 2008 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You must be naming according to IUPAC nomenclature rules. IUPAC doesn't recognize 'cuprate'; it is either copper(I) or copper(II). 'Cuprate' is often used in the literature but it isn't strictly correct according to IUPAC. It is particularly offensive (to chemical geeks like me) that the -ate suffix is used to apply to a positively charged metal when everyone knows that even under the old nomenclature system that -ate was the nomenclature of heteropoly anions!

Here are some rules..... (page 2, right hand column)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?