• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Naming of complex ion CuCl4^2-

• Thread starter haoku
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

Name of complex ion CuCl4^2-

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion and my teacher says it is incorrect. I should write tetrachlorocopper(II) ion

Answers and Replies

Cuprate i think would mean there is oxygen combined with the copper. like for chlorate(1) which is ClO-. the -ate suffix generally means an oxide.

It's possible that they are saying that by writing copper(II) you are implying cuprate, and therefore don't need to say it. For example, nowadays we don't say sulphite and sulphate, we say sulphate(II) and sulphate(III)... I think.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
best guess right now is : tetrachlorocuprate(II) but better is to check in a General Chemistry textbook or an Inorganic Chemistry textbook.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement

Name of complex ion CuCl4^2-

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion and my teacher says it is incorrect. I should write tetrachlorocopper(II) ion
You must be naming according to IUPAC nomenclature rules. IUPAC doesn't recognize 'cuprate'; it is either copper(I) or copper(II). 'Cuprate' is often used in the literature but it isn't strictly correct according to IUPAC. It is particularly offensive (to chemical geeks like me) that the -ate suffix is used to apply to a positively charged metal when everyone knows that even under the old nomenclature system that -ate was the nomenclature of heteropoly anions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_nomenclature_of_inorganic_chemistryhttp://www2.potsdam.edu/walkerma/inorg_naming.pdf" [Broken]..... (page 2, right hand column)

Last edited by a moderator: