1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming of Haloalkane (Disputed)

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1

Qube

Gold Member

My teacher insists the name of this compound is (2S)-chloro-3-methyl-3-propylhexane

Shouldn't it be 4-(1-chloroethyl)-4-methylheptane? (Ignore R,S configuration for now).

Chemoffice also tells me 4-(1-chloroethyl)-4-methylheptane.

Do52y.png

I think it's the latter because I've consulted three textbooks; all say pick out the longest chain of carbon atoms.

I've also consulted Wikipedia; it says pick the parent chain with the following rules in mind (in descending order of importance):

1) Pick the most substituted chain - the chain with the most substituents of the parent suffix ("ane") - so that would mean either the hexane or the heptane chain, right? The hexane chain has a methyl and an propyl substituent, and a chloro substituent (it's a halogen, however, so it doesn't count). The heptane chain has a complex alkyl substituent and a methyl substituent too.

2) Pick the longest chain. So the heptane chain should win here.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This is a tough one. I've been going over the IUPAC rules, and I would lean towards your teacher being right.

From the 1979 rules, we have
    and also
    In the 1993 rules, we find
    From this, I would conclude that the chain containing the chlorine is to take precedence (as this makes it a "substitutive nomenclature"), even if the chain length is shorter.

The one thing that makes me uncertain is the fact that a halogen can only be named as a prefix. If the functional group was an alcohol (OH), then it would clealy take precedence: 3-methyl-3-propylhexan-2-ol. My guess is that the same approach should apply here.

4. Jun 10, 2014 #3

Qube

Gold Member

Thank you for the thorough response. It seems that our textbooks greatly simplify naming considerations to picking out the longest chain. My teacher also changed the answer to 4-(1-chloroethyl)-4-methylheptane. Oh well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted