1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming organic compounds help

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    naming organic compounds help plzzz

I need some help naming the compound below

The vertical line should be from the second Carbons not the first. I can't move the line to the middle SORRY!

The name I have is 3,4-dimethyl-3-propylhexene
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    I think your name is close. I can see your six-carbon chain with a double bond, but I think you need to indicate where the "ene" bond is by a number... like how would you name just these nonfunctionalized alkenes:

CH2=CH-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 vs: CH3-CH=CH-CH2-CH2-CH3 or: CH3-CH2-CH=CH-CH2-CH3 ?

Then I see your methyl groups and propyl groups and where you located them... but is your propyl a straight chain propyl or is it branched? And how is that indicated in its name? (each is indicated in a certain way).

Yeah for taking O-chem! In the days of bio-phys and nanotech, this is getting more important.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?