1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming Organic Compounds

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give an acceptable IUPAC name for these compounds.

http://i.imgur.com/tHUpwYK.png

3. The attempt at a solution

So the question is really on the 2nd problem in the picture but I need to reference the first one for my question.

So my original guess on the 2nd problem was. Cis-3-secbutyl, 1-methylcyclopentane

I looked up the answer and it was... Cis-1-methyl-3-(1-methyl)propylcyclopentane

So I sort of understand how naming complex substituent groups work so I applied it to the first question and got... trans 1-(1-methyl)ethyl, 3-methylcyclohexane. The answer to that was trans-1-isopropyl-3-methylcyclohexane.

So just to reiterate my question, is Cis-3-secbutyl,1-methylcyclopentane the same as Cis-1-methyl-3-(1-methyl)propylcyclopentane?

If it's not I'd appreciate any help :D

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. My gut says that "sec butyl" is more informative than 1-methylpropyl (since this is just a butyl chain), but IUPAC is wacky like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted