1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NAND Inverter

1. Feb 7, 2015 #1

dwn

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Constructing a NAND gate as an inverter.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attached the image at my attempt to construct the circuit. The output is always on, which it should be except when both inputs are zero. Could someone explain what I am doing wrong?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2015 #2
    Is U1A's upper wire connected properly?

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3

dwn

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Shouldn't both ports be connected to the switch? In doing that, the gate will output whatever is opposite the input, or does it require an input from the voltage source? I'm really confused about all of this.

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I don't see a pullup resistor at the switch. How will you get a logic 1 for your inputs?

6. Feb 7, 2015 #5

dwn

Based off what you and Korisnik are saying, I need to run a lead from U1 to the voltage source in order to have a HIGH input value.

Tried that to see if it would work...no go.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  7. Feb 7, 2015 #6
    No, I just asked if it was properly connected, as I can't see a junction there. I don't know about the pull up thingy, I've never worked with anything but logic (I don't know how "input", as in Vcc can be connected like this and pull-up to still work). Maybe if this is TTL logic you can't put Vcc on the output.. you need it on the input, also connect to ground and put some pull up resistors (~10k Ohms) before the gates (after switches) so it doesn't float. http://s22.postimg.org/ynlu13ech/DLr5_Bna.png

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  8. Feb 7, 2015 #7

dwn

Thank Korisnik. I implemented the changes you suggested in your image, however, the circuit still doesn't function correctly. I found a couple example circuits online, to use NAND as an inverted logic gate, but I must not be making the connections correctly.

9. Feb 8, 2015 #8
    Check all junctions, for example where U1A's upper wire connects to the wire coming from the switch. "Bigger" red dots should be junctions. Does your circuit work properly with any configuration of logic gates?

10. Feb 8, 2015 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can I suggest you take a look at U4A. For example if you understand what U4A is doing you might see a way to simplify your circuit considerably.

PS: Inverters only have one input so why does your circuit have two switches?

11. Feb 8, 2015 #10

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You could use a switch like this at the input, to provide the logic HIGH or logic LOW for your inverter.

03001x01.png

You won't need a complicated arrangement of gates if you use this to set logic 1 or 0 as input.

The indicator at the output isn't right. All you need from the gate's output is a resistor + LED to ground. The light will glow if the gate's output is HIGH, and it won't glow if output is LOW.

Start over afresh. You've got way off-course by using the wrong arrangement at the input.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  12. Feb 9, 2015 #11

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't have that type of switch use a pull-up resistor on the input and a single pole switch to pull it down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted