Researching the Potential of Nano Batteries: Seeking Forum Insight

In summary, the conversation is about the potential of using nanotechnology to replace traditional dry cell batteries in electronic devices. The referenced website discusses the use of controllable wetting in batteries, and the conversation also mentions microfabricated turbines as a potential source of energy. The participants express interest in the opinions of other forum members on the feasibility of nanobatteries.
ShadowKnight
Hope this is the correct forum for this... :uhh:

I ran across this today. I've begun researching what companies are doing to replace our current dry cell batteries used in electronic devices. This is the first reference I've seen of a so called nano battery. Anyone with experience here think something like this could work? Thanks, I'm really interested in the opinions held by members of this forum. A lot of knowledge here...

http://www.mphasetech.com/nanotechnology.htm

More in-depth:
http://www.mphasetech.com/PDF/Nano%20Grass%20Tech%20White%20Paper.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I have this in the wrong forum? I see people checking this out but no responses. Thanks.

As far as I understand, this paper is not about nanobatteries, but it is about some controllable wetting behaviour. To make a nanobattery one needs to find out how this experiment could be reproduced with some real materials used in wet batteries. Because the idea is to use controllable wetting, the first step would be to collect the known information about the wetting properties of known battery materials and, in parallel, to specify the properties of the desirable battery.

Speaking of batteries and nanotechnology, one of the more amazing thing I have read about are microfabricated turbines; they give you about 5 Watts with a 4.2 miillimeters rotor, which you can even attach to a nanodynamo if you want to get electricity.

1. What are nano batteries and how do they differ from traditional batteries?

Nano batteries are a type of rechargeable battery that utilizes nanotechnology to improve their performance and efficiency. They differ from traditional batteries in their use of nanoscale materials, such as nanoparticles or nanowires, in their electrodes and electrolytes. This allows for a higher energy density and faster charging times.

2. What is the current state of research on nano batteries?

The research on nano batteries is still in its early stages, but there have been significant advancements in recent years. Many studies have focused on improving the performance and stability of nano battery materials, as well as developing new fabrication techniques. However, more research is needed to fully understand and optimize the potential of nano batteries.

3. What are the potential applications of nano batteries?

Nano batteries have a wide range of potential applications, including in portable electronic devices, electric vehicles, and renewable energy storage. They could also be used in medical devices, military equipment, and aerospace technology. The high energy density and fast charging capabilities of nano batteries make them ideal for these types of applications.

4. What are the benefits and limitations of using nano batteries?

The main benefit of using nano batteries is their improved performance, including higher energy density and faster charging times. They also have the potential to be more environmentally friendly and cost-effective than traditional batteries. However, some limitations include the high cost of production and the potential for safety concerns due to the use of nanoscale materials.

5. How can the general public contribute to the research on nano batteries?

The general public can contribute to the research on nano batteries by staying informed about the latest developments and supporting funding for research in this area. They can also participate in surveys or forums, like this one, to provide valuable insight and feedback to researchers. Additionally, individuals can make small changes in their daily habits, such as using rechargeable batteries, to reduce the environmental impact of traditional batteries and support the development of more sustainable energy storage solutions like nano batteries.