Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nano technology - anti slip

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    I slipped on ice and broke my wrist.

Given our collective knowledge of the physics of slipping, isn't it possible that nano techology exists that allows us to add a non-slip substance to the soles of boots and shoes?

Lev

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2
    Hello, and welcome to PF.

Well, "how big is your pocket book?" I am working with a group that is developing spray-on nanotech coatings for hoses. The resulting structures look like they could provide significant traction on ice. I don't know what pressures they can withstand yet.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4
    If the product can be easily applied, I'd love to know more. There would seem to be several excellent markets for a really good non-slip product. Is there company information or a website I can go to?

Lev

6. Mar 11, 2009 #5
    We use nano-technology in our product to create and anti-slip coating for any surface/floor. It creates a rough texture. It contains particle sizes of between 9-12 microns and this is mixed into an epoxy or PU binder. Its called Skidproof and we market it in the UK.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook