1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nano technology - anti slip

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    I slipped on ice and broke my wrist.

Given our collective knowledge of the physics of slipping, isn't it possible that nano techology exists that allows us to add a non-slip substance to the soles of boots and shoes?

Lev

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2
    Hello, and welcome to PF.

Well, "how big is your pocket book?" I am working with a group that is developing spray-on nanotech coatings for hoses. The resulting structures look like they could provide significant traction on ice. I don't know what pressures they can withstand yet.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4
    If the product can be easily applied, I'd love to know more. There would seem to be several excellent markets for a really good non-slip product. Is there company information or a website I can go to?

Lev

6. Mar 11, 2009 #5
    We use nano-technology in our product to create and anti-slip coating for any surface/floor. It creates a rough texture. It contains particle sizes of between 9-12 microns and this is mixed into an epoxy or PU binder. Its called Skidproof and we market it in the UK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook