1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nano-, what means?

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    Nano-----, what means?

What is a nanoblade? And a nanospring?
    I am not an expert about nanotechnology but I would like to understand something more.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Nano-----, what means?

Nano is a prefix meaning 1 billionth of something. So a nanometer is 1 billionth of a meter. Nanotechnology is generally referring to something that is on the scale of nanometers. So a nanoblade and nanospring are simply a spring and a blade that are a few nanometers to a few hundred nanometers in size or so.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

Nanotechnology is the study and design of technology on the nanoscale, whilst this technically ranges from 1-1000nm in the field it refers to 1-100nm because this is the scale at which materials start to take on unique properties separate to their larger counterparts.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

Also, if the numbers are difficult to visualize... If a marble were 1 nanometer in diameter, 1 meter would be the diameter of the Earth.

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

I find this neat little http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347" [Broken] good for understanding the scales involved

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook