Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nano-, what means?

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    Nano-----, what means?

What is a nanoblade? And a nanospring?
    I am not an expert about nanotechnology but I would like to understand something more.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Nano-----, what means?

Nano is a prefix meaning 1 billionth of something. So a nanometer is 1 billionth of a meter. Nanotechnology is generally referring to something that is on the scale of nanometers. So a nanoblade and nanospring are simply a spring and a blade that are a few nanometers to a few hundred nanometers in size or so.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

Nanotechnology is the study and design of technology on the nanoscale, whilst this technically ranges from 1-1000nm in the field it refers to 1-100nm because this is the scale at which materials start to take on unique properties separate to their larger counterparts.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

Also, if the numbers are difficult to visualize... If a marble were 1 nanometer in diameter, 1 meter would be the diameter of the Earth.

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

I find this neat little http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347" [Broken] good for understanding the scales involved

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook