Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nano wires

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1

lo2

I know this might be Physic stuff but, we are doing Nano Technology in Chemistry so that is why I am posting it here.

What I would like is some notes and article on this subject and it should be something eaisly understandable, not something hardcore stuff with a lot of formulas. If you have got some articles from a scienticif magazine or something that would be really nice.

And has the topic Super Conducters anyting to do with Nano Technology?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 23, 2006 #3

lo2

But is that not more about Medical Nano Technology than Nano wires?

Thanks for the article anyway.

5. Oct 23, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't read the title! That was the first thing that came to mind when I thought "nanoparticles" and "chemistry". There's a section in that article where it talks about the synthesis of ~50nm particles with very tight size tolerances using capsid shells from bacteriophage virii. It's essentially a very clever synthetic approach for that size range.

As for nanowires, there's probably a zillion articles out there, but there's no one article that I can think of as more useful than others.

Besides, we don't know what this is for. Is this a middle school class or an advanced, college level course?

6. Oct 23, 2006 #5

lo2

I have to do a brief presentation of it. College level but as I said I have only got five minutes and I therefore can I only tell the basics and not go into details...

7. Oct 23, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's essentially two types of synthesis techniques for nanowires:
    (i) patterning (using lithography and evaporation, or deposition along controlled nanocracks)
    (ii) self-assembly (using crystallographic techniques like vapor-liquid-solid growth)

If you briefly outline the salient features of these two techniques, that will make for a good 5-minute talk. I would suggest you try googling some of the keywords I've used above along with "nanowire synthesis"...you should find something useful.

8. Oct 23, 2006 #7

lo2

So what you are talking about is making Nano Wires by Chemical Synthesis? Is that correctly understood?

9. Oct 23, 2006 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I'm pointing you towards the synthesis of nanowires (rather than the characterization, study of various physical phenomena, or development of applications), because that is closest related to chemistry (the rest is essentially physics and electronics).

10. Oct 23, 2006 #9

lo2

Ok thank you for yor help, mostly appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?