1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nanotechnology vs. Physics

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    I absolutely love physics, and I absolutely love engineering. The engineering field I would choose if I do engineering will be molecular engineering/nanotechnology, because I think its awesome, and it is going to be a very powerful technology in the near future. (If I chose physics, I would like to be a theoretical physicist!)

So I was just hoping to find some useful advice as to which I should choose.

I am afraid that if I choose engineering, I will be forced to ignore some physics, (which really makes me cringe. I want to learn ALL physics and ALL corresponding mathematics because I love it all!) But on the other hand I am afraid if I choose Physics, I will not get to create awesome things and/or life may be boring at times.

Thanks for any advice ahead of time!

Jonny

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2
    Nanotechnology is not a subfield of engineering. Many different roads -- including physics -- will lead you there.

4. May 20, 2010 #3
    i dont know about US... but in here in Europe we have

Physics with Nanoscale Physics MSci
    UCAS code: F392

5. May 21, 2010 #4
    Hi,

Well, I would suggest that you do what you love most.
    As has been mentioned earlier, the word nano is rather big & interdiscplinary. But it still mostly revolves around Physics.

For example, Computational topics in nanotech = computational + theoretical physics.
    Experimental Nanotech = experimental physics + some chemistry/materials science

So again, do what you love most, & don't think too much about future employment etc....

You can have a look at:

http://www.nanohub.org" [Broken]

If features some cool lectures (but remember, this is a selection, not all fields).

And if you choose Physics, it is not neccessarily that you will be become theoretical physicst, you can do both theoretical & experimental physics (this is very very close to Engineering).

Regarding Engineering schools, yes, they do tend to ignore the details (depending on the topic, e.g. in Semiconductor & physics of Nanoelectronics which is a typical topic for Electrical Engineering these days, you can't really skip the physical details).

Note: before selecting what to do, have a look at the lectures offered for the course and their content.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook