Are Molecular Assembler Bots Possible in Nanotechnology?

• Thread starter donkeyhide
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and is seeking information about the possibility of molecular assembler bots in nanotechnology. They have read about the Smalley-Drexler debate and are trying to understand Drexler's ideas about using a factory device to move molecules rather than individual atoms. They are also interested in the use of enzymes for tailor-made materials and the possibility of nanoconstructor bots in the future. They acknowledge that this technology is still in the realm of science fiction and are seeking perspectives on its feasibility.
donkeyhide
hi all. I'm new here and am doing some research on nanotechnology. i was hoping i could learn some more here about the 'sticky fingers' problem as it relates to molecular assemblers. my central question is: will molecular assembler bots ever be possible?

i've scanned some articles about the smalley-drexler debate. from what i understand, smalley's position is that molecular assembler bots will never be a possibility because once you start talking about manipulating individual atoms, you have to ask how you'll 'let go.' the fingers of the arm would stick to the atom being moved and there'd be no way to break the bond.

drexler claims that his ideas for assemblers never depended upon manipulator arms at all. i don't full get what he's talking about, but it looks to me as if drexler speaks about moving molecules, not atoms, in an assembly-line fashion, using a factory device that's a bit bigger than nano-scale. he mentions snapping the bonds using a 90 degree rotation of the 'dispenser' or whatever, when it's time to let go of the molecule.

if I'm understanding this correctly, then where did the idea for assembler bots begin in the first place? are they just a bit of hype that's lodged in the popular imagination?

i've also seen some talk about using enzymes to grow tailor-made materials. i'd like to know anything you have to say about that. but what I'm really interested in is the possibility of nanoconstructor bots. molecular assembler bots. i need to know the fact from the fiction. i know that such bots, if they are even possible, are decades away. i know that they remain in the realm of sci-fi. but that's okay. I'm just trying to determine if there's something fundamentally wrong with the idea.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
please, will someone take a crack at this? i seriously need a perspective on this.

Try posting your question down on the general engineering forum. There's been some discussion of nanotechnology there.

What is nanotech?

Nanotech refers to the field of technology that deals with materials and structures at the nanoscale level, typically between 1 and 100 nanometers. This technology involves manipulating and controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale to create new materials with unique properties.

What are "sticky fingers" in nanotech?

"Sticky fingers" in nanotech refers to the tendency of nanoparticles and other nanoscale materials to clump together or stick to surfaces. This can be a challenge in nanotechnology, as it can affect the properties and behavior of the materials and hinder their use in certain applications.

What are the potential uses of "sticky fingers" in nanotech?

The ability of nanoparticles to stick to surfaces and form clusters can have both positive and negative implications in nanotechnology. On one hand, it can be used to create adhesives and coatings with unique properties. On the other hand, it can also lead to unwanted clumping and aggregation in certain applications.

How can scientists overcome the challenges of "sticky fingers" in nanotech?

Scientists and engineers are constantly developing new techniques and methods to overcome the challenges posed by "sticky fingers" in nanotechnology. These include surface modifications, controlling the size and shape of nanoparticles, and using certain types of surfactants to prevent clumping and aggregation.

What are the potential risks associated with "sticky fingers" in nanotech?

While "sticky fingers" in nanotech can have many potential benefits, there are also concerns about their potential risks. Nanoparticles that stick together can form larger aggregates that may have different properties and could potentially be harmful to the environment or human health. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and mitigate these risks in their research and development of nanotechnology.