Can Carbon Nanotubes Be Made from Industry Exhausts?

• Thread starter chhitiz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility and viability of a project that aims to make carbon nanotubes from industry exhausts. The speaker expresses skepticism about its feasibility due to the irregularity and low abundance of carbon nanotubes in industrial exhausts. They also question the economic viability of the project and whether there has been any previous research in this area.
chhitiz
i read about this project for making carbon nanotubes from industry exhausts. is this possible/viable? if so, how economical is it? has there ever been any previous work in this area?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Personally, with my limited knowledge of carbon nanotubes, I don't see it as viable. The way I see it is, they want to oxidize anything in any industrial exhaust as much as they can. I read that they can be found in some places like ordinary flames but I'm guessing in a very small amount. They are also very irregular which is the absolute worst thing that a nanotube can be. It ruins any good physical properties. Again, I have very limited knowledge so I could be wrong on some of this.

1. What are nanotubes from exhausts?

Nanotubes from exhausts are tiny cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms, typically measuring about a few nanometers in diameter. They are created as byproducts of combustion processes, such as those found in car exhausts.

2. How are nanotubes from exhausts formed?

Nanotubes from exhausts are formed through a process called incomplete combustion, where carbon atoms are released as a byproduct. These carbon atoms then bond together and form the cylindrical nanotube structure.

3. What are the potential uses of nanotubes from exhausts?

Nanotubes from exhausts have a variety of potential uses in various industries, including electronics, energy storage, and medical technology. They have unique properties such as high strength and conductivity, making them useful for applications such as battery electrodes and drug delivery systems.

4. Are there any environmental concerns regarding nanotubes from exhausts?

There is currently limited research on the environmental impact of nanotubes from exhausts. However, some studies suggest that they may contribute to air pollution and have the potential to harm living organisms if released into the environment in large quantities.

5. How can we control the production of nanotubes from exhausts?

Researchers are currently exploring ways to control the production of nanotubes from exhausts, such as modifying the combustion process or using filters to capture them. However, more research is needed to develop effective and affordable methods for controlling their production.