1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NaOH Corroding Metals

1. Aug 25, 2005 #1

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

Without getting into too much detail on what I am building, here is what I am basically asking,
    Will Soidum Hydroxide (NaOH) corrode brass?
    I am thinking yes. Bras is made up of zinc (which I know NaOH will corrode) and copper (I am not sure about copper).
    Basically, I have a value, made mostly from brass, that I want to use to control the flow of something which will be in VERY Close proximity to a concentrated solution of NaOH. The valve probably has some steel in it too I am guessing.

So what metals are out, obviously Aluminum, Zinc, ...?
    Are any metals "in"?

I would probably be better going with a PVC valve, right? But I dont think they are as high a quality as the metal ones, plus I want[ed] to connect the value to a brass hose barb adapter to connect to a plastic tube. I guess I could go PVC all the way.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

OK, what I ended up doing is trading in all my brass parts for plastic (they call it nylon I think), except for 1 part which I looked and looked and couldn’t find a plastic equivalent for, but this one is either copper or brass, so lets hope it can take it.

EDIT:
    Do you want to know how much of a nerd I am?
    Since it didnt say anywhere whether the metal part I bought was brass or any other metal, and since it looked esspecially shiny and copper like, I decided to test it. So, as all of you know, the most fun way to test what kind of metal something is on a Friday night is of course, find its density.
    Not having a very accurate way to measure volume besides water displacement and that fact that theoretically water weighs 1 g/cc, I found the part to have a density of about 5.5 g/cc, and that is rounding up slitly to make up for the inaccurate volume measurement.
    I looked up the densities of Copper, Zinc, and Brass,
    Cu = 8.92 g/cc
    Zn = 7.14 g/cc
    Brass = about 8.9 g/cc

So, I found out, assuming my measurements can be taken seriously, that it is made out of none of the above, or atleast is alloyed with a much lighter metal (hopefully now aluminum).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?