Does NaOH Corrode Brass and Other Metals?

• Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metals
In summary, I believe that the part I bought is not brass, and it might be made of something lighter than brass.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
Without getting into too much detail on what I am building, here is what I am basically asking,
Will Soidum Hydroxide (NaOH) corrode brass?
I am thinking yes. Bras is made up of zinc (which I know NaOH will corrode) and copper (I am not sure about copper).
Basically, I have a value, made mostly from brass, that I want to use to control the flow of something which will be in VERY Close proximity to a concentrated solution of NaOH. The valve probably has some steel in it too I am guessing.

So what metals are out, obviously Aluminum, Zinc, ...?
Are any metals "in"?

I would probably be better going with a PVC valve, right? But I don't think they are as high a quality as the metal ones, plus I want[ed] to connect the value to a brass hose barb adapter to connect to a plastic tube. I guess I could go PVC all the way.

Any thoughts?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
OK, what I ended up doing is trading in all my brass parts for plastic (they call it nylon I think), except for 1 part which I looked and looked and couldn’t find a plastic equivalent for, but this one is either copper or brass, so let's hope it can take it.

EDIT:
Do you want to know how much of a nerd I am?
Since it didnt say anywhere whether the metal part I bought was brass or any other metal, and since it looked esspecially shiny and copper like, I decided to test it. So, as all of you know, the most fun way to test what kind of metal something is on a Friday night is of course, find its density.
Not having a very accurate way to measure volume besides water displacement and that fact that theoretically water weighs 1 g/cc, I found the part to have a density of about 5.5 g/cc, and that is rounding up slitly to make up for the inaccurate volume measurement.
I looked up the densities of Copper, Zinc, and Brass,
Cu = 8.92 g/cc
Zn = 7.14 g/cc
Brass = about 8.9 g/cc

So, I found out, assuming my measurements can be taken seriously, that it is made out of none of the above, or atleast is alloyed with a much lighter metal (hopefully now aluminum).

Last edited:

Based on the information provided, it is likely that NaOH will corrode brass and other metals. Brass is made up of zinc and copper, and as you mentioned, NaOH can corrode zinc. While copper is generally more resistant to corrosion, it is still possible for NaOH to corrode it as well. Additionally, if the valve also contains steel, it is possible that NaOH could corrode that as well.

In terms of other metals that may be resistant to corrosion from NaOH, stainless steel is often a good choice. However, it is always best to consult with a materials expert or do some research to determine the best material for your specific application.

Based on the potential for corrosion, it may be a good idea to consider using a PVC valve instead. While they may not be as high quality as metal valves, they are generally more resistant to corrosion from chemicals like NaOH. Additionally, using a PVC valve would eliminate the need for a brass hose barb adapter, which could also potentially be corroded by NaOH. Ultimately, the best choice will depend on your specific needs and the level of corrosion resistance required for your project. It may be worth consulting with a materials expert to determine the best option for your specific application.

1. Does NaOH corrode brass?

Yes, NaOH (sodium hydroxide) can corrode brass. Brass is an alloy made up of copper and zinc, and NaOH is a strong base that can react with both of these metals, leading to corrosion.

2. Can NaOH corrode other metals?

Yes, NaOH can corrode other metals as well. It is a strong base that can react with a variety of metals, including aluminum, iron, and nickel. The extent of corrosion will depend on factors such as concentration and temperature of the NaOH solution.

3. How does NaOH corrode metals?

NaOH corrodes metals by breaking down the metal's protective oxide layer. The hydroxide ions in NaOH can also react with the metal ions, leading to the formation of metal hydroxides. This process weakens the metal and can eventually lead to corrosion.

4. Are all concentrations of NaOH equally corrosive to metals?

No, the corrosive effect of NaOH will vary depending on its concentration. Higher concentrations of NaOH will be more corrosive to metals as they contain more hydroxide ions. However, even lower concentrations of NaOH can still cause corrosion over time.

5. Can NaOH be used safely with brass and other metals?

It is generally not recommended to use NaOH with brass and other metals as it can cause corrosion. However, if necessary, the use of protective coatings or proper handling and disposal methods can help minimize the risk of corrosion and ensure safe use of NaOH with these metals.