Calculating Amount of H2SO4 Needed to Neutralize NaOH

• Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutralize
In summary: Thanks for the answer.In summary, to neutralize 1 mol of sodium hydroxide, 36.5 g of hydrochloric acid is required. To neutralize the same amount of sodium hydroxide with 1 mol of sulphuric acid, 0.5 mol of sulphuric acid is required.
chawki

Homework Statement

To completely neutralise 1 mol, i.e. 40.0 g, of sodium hydroxide (NaOH),
1 mol, i.e. 36.5 g, of hydrochloric acid (HCl) is required. Determine the amount (using the units
mol and gram) of sulphuric acid (H2SO4) required to neutralise the same amount of sodium
hydroxide.

Homework Equations

Write the equation for this reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea what they are talking about.

Physics news on Phys.org
As told - start with the reaction equations. How does HCl react with NaOH? How does H2SO4 react with NaOH?

Hello Borek.

After some research, i found that the reaction should be like this:
2 NaOH + H2SO4 -------> Na2SO4 + 2 H2O.

However is this the final answer ? i don't get why they gave information on HCl and NaOH

chawki said:
However is this the final answer ?

How can it be the final answer, have you read the question? You are asked to determine the amount, reaction equation is not the amount of the substance.

I asked you to write TWO reaction equations.

The first reaction is
NaOH + HCl ---------> NaCl + H2O

OK. In fact this reaction is not necessary to solve the problem, but it nicely shows how acid base reactions are related - they produce salt and water. Compare both reactions to see what I am talking about.

Now concentrate on the first reaction - the one between NaOH and H2SO4. Do you know how to read the reaction equation? Can you tell how many moles of sulfuric acid reacts with ONE mole of NaOH?

one mole.

No. Look at stoichiometric coefficients.

0.5mole

still convinced it's 0.5 mol

Good for you.

so that's the answer :bugeye: ?
0,5 mol of sulphuric acid ?

Yes, sulfuric acid has two acidic protons, so it reacts 1:2 with NaOH.

that's very surprising..i wasn't expecting this small answer..and i was expecting more complicated things since they gave us many data :bugeye:

the whole answer to this excercise is just the equation:
2 NaOH + H2SO4 ----> Na2SO4 + 2 H2O

and the amount of H2SO4 is 0.5 mol ?
by the way, what do they mean by ''same amount of NaOH''

Same amount of NaOH - identical amount of NaOH, just like 40g that reacted with HCl.

1. How do you calculate the amount of H2SO4 needed to neutralize NaOH?

To calculate the amount of H2SO4 needed to neutralize NaOH, you need to use the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, use the mole ratio between H2SO4 and NaOH to determine the number of moles of H2SO4 needed to completely react with the given amount of NaOH.

2. What is the mole ratio between H2SO4 and NaOH?

The mole ratio between H2SO4 and NaOH is 1:2. This means that for every 1 mole of H2SO4, 2 moles of NaOH are needed to completely react.

3. How do you convert moles of H2SO4 to grams?

To convert moles of H2SO4 to grams, you need to use the molar mass of H2SO4. This can be found by adding the atomic masses of each element in the compound. Then, multiply the number of moles by the molar mass to get the mass in grams.

4. Can you use any units for the amount of H2SO4 needed?

Yes, you can use any units for the amount of H2SO4 needed as long as they are consistent. This means that if you use moles for the amount of NaOH, you must also use moles for the amount of H2SO4.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the amount of H2SO4 needed to neutralize NaOH?

The purpose of calculating the amount of H2SO4 needed to neutralize NaOH is to determine the exact amount of acid required to completely react with a given amount of base. This is important in many scientific experiments and industrial processes that require precise measurements for a successful reaction.