1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Narrowing down my choices for transferring

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    Okay. . .I want to see what my options are. I want to major in Mathematics (pure) and Physics. If I only stay one year I'll have Calculus 1 and maybe Calculus 2 under my belt, thats as far as math goes. I don't even think I'll have any Physics taken care of but after just one year my gpa will probably be closer to a 4.0. If I stay for the second year ill have for Math:

Calculus/Analytic Geometry 1, 2, & 3
    Differential equations
    Linear Algebra
    Intro to Discrete Math

there is a class (which I will take if possible) called "Selected Topics in Mathematics.": "Topics to be determined in advance by the department from one or more of the following areas: Chaos & Fractals, Combinatorics, Graph Theory, Number Theory, Numerical Analysis, Topology, Complex Variables, Probability Theory, Statistics, and Logic."

Should I also take a Computer Science class or Statistics?

And in Physics(If I decide to keep the double major.):
    Analytic Physics 1, 2, & 3

Now, like I said, I want to get into the best school I can possibly get into. I have a lot of schools in mind but 99% are out of state (which makes it harder). I need to know my chances.

The majority are in California(UC schools), which makes it even more difficult because they really cater to CaliCC schools. But lets say a gpa of 3.0 - 3.5 and an A.S In Mathematics (and maybe Physics) what are my options out of this list. Yes, some of these are long shots but, if I don't apply at all, it's a definite no. These are all my top choices and I need to know exactly what they're looking for. Besides a 4.0 and deep pockets.

Boston U
    Cal Tech
    Carnegie Mellon
    Harvey Mudd
    James Madison U
    Rutgers
    San Diego SU
    UC Berkeley
    UC Davis
    UC Irvine
    UC Los Angeles
    UC Santa Barb
    UC Santa Cruz
    U Delaware
    U Florida
    U Maryland
    University SoCal

I have a few fall backs, Rutgers is one of them (I'm guaranteed admission).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted