What are the career possibilities at NASA for a PhD/MD?

In summary, the person is a college graduate with a BA in physics and is considering pursuing a MS in physics and possibly an MD/PhD. They are interested in working for NASA, specifically on a deep space mission like a mission to Mars. They are seeking advice on what an MD/PhD can do at NASA and how to get involved in space exploration. They are also interested in any summer experiences or temporary jobs that could give them a better understanding of the field. Despite budget constraints, pursuing a PhD/MD and becoming a flight doctor/surgeon are suggested as possible paths to a career at NASA. Various resources and opportunities at NASA are also mentioned. Ultimately, the person is encouraged to pursue their interest in space exploration as it is
b3nm4n
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to graduate from college with a BA in physics (basically BS but missing a couple of classes) and as I am waiting to hear back from physics grad schools (MS) I wanted to see if I could get some input about what kinds of work one can do with NASA. I've done the whole pre-med thing and I'm considering applying for an MD/PhD after the MS, so the NASA career may be a while down the road, but the thing that would interest me the most would be working on a deep space mission such as a mission to Mars.

Depending on how the MS goes I may go ahead and go for the PhD instead of the MD/PhD.

I just wanted to see if anyone maybe works for NASA and has some ideas about what an MD/PhD could do, and in general how one can get involved with this field of space exploration (maybe not even NASA if there are other ways). Basically anything in the field of traveling to other planets where I could eventually be directly involved in effort would be amazing.

Also if anyone knows about summer experiences or temporary jobs where I could get an idea of what it's like, that would be great.

Thanks guys, sorry that the question is not very specific

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

What types of careers are available at NASA?

At NASA, there are a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, science, technology, and mathematics. Some common job titles include astronaut, aerospace engineer, research scientist, computer programmer, and project manager.

What qualifications do I need to work at NASA?

To work at NASA, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or computer science. Some positions may require a higher degree or specific experience. It is also important to have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

Are there internships available at NASA?

Yes, NASA offers internships for students at various levels of education. These internships provide hands-on experience and the opportunity to work on real projects alongside NASA scientists and engineers. They are highly competitive and often lead to full-time job offers.

What is the application process like for NASA jobs?

The application process for NASA jobs typically involves submitting a resume and cover letter, as well as completing an online application. Depending on the position, you may also need to undergo a background check and pass a physical exam. It is important to thoroughly research the job requirements and tailor your application accordingly.

What is it like to work at NASA?

Working at NASA can be a challenging and rewarding experience. Employees have the opportunity to work on groundbreaking projects and contribute to scientific discoveries. The work environment is fast-paced and collaborative, and there are also opportunities for professional development and career advancement.