NASA Chief: 'Let's Go Save the Hubble'

• NASA
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hubble Nasa
In summary, the Hubble Space Telescope is a powerful tool operated by NASA since 1990, providing valuable data and images about the universe. It is currently facing technical issues and needs to be repaired and updated. NASA Chief is responsible for managing and directing the agency and is urging for a mission to save the Hubble. The plan is to send a team of astronauts using the Space Shuttle to perform repairs and updates. Saving the Hubble is crucial as it has led to significant scientific discoveries and can continue to inspire future generations.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Amid uncertainty over the fate of the Hubble Space Telescope and with a key instrument not working, NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe gave the go-ahead Monday for planning a robotic servicing mission.

"Let's go save the Hubble," O'Keefe said. He did not say whether the failed instrument would be repaired.

O'Keefe told about 200 employees at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center to develop a firm proposal within a year, at which time a decision would be made whether to proceed. [continued]

http://space.com/news/hubble_mission_040810.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Kill the whales! Save the Hubble!

I am thrilled to hear that NASA is moving forward with plans for a robotic servicing mission for the Hubble Space Telescope. The Hubble has provided us with incredible insights into our universe and it would be a shame to see it go out of commission without a fight.

While it is disappointing that the fate of the failed instrument is still uncertain, I am hopeful that it will be included in the proposed mission. The Hubble has been a valuable tool for scientific research and discovery, and I believe it is worth the effort to try and repair it.

I am also glad to hear that there will be a decision made within a year. It's important to have a timeline in place so that the mission can move forward efficiently. I have faith in the talented employees at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center to develop a solid proposal for the mission.

Overall, I fully support the decision to save the Hubble and I am looking forward to seeing the results of the proposed mission. The Hubble has been a game-changer in the world of astronomy and I believe it still has much to offer us. Let's go save the Hubble!

What is the Hubble Space Telescope?

The Hubble Space Telescope is a powerful space telescope that has been in orbit since 1990. It is operated by NASA and has provided scientists with incredible images and data about our universe.

Why does the Hubble need to be saved?

The Hubble Space Telescope is currently facing technical issues that could lead to its eventual failure. It is in need of repairs and updates in order to continue functioning and providing valuable scientific data.

What is the role of the NASA Chief in saving the Hubble?

The NASA Chief, or Administrator, is the head of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and is responsible for the overall management and direction of the agency. In this case, the NASA Chief is urging for a mission to save the Hubble Space Telescope.

How will NASA save the Hubble?

NASA plans to send a team of astronauts on a mission to the Hubble Space Telescope to perform repairs and updates. This will involve using the Space Shuttle to transport the astronauts and their equipment to the telescope.

What is the importance of saving the Hubble?

The Hubble Space Telescope has been instrumental in many scientific discoveries and has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe. Saving it will allow for continued research and exploration, as well as inspiring future generations to pursue careers in science and space exploration.