Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NASA Knows Time Travel is Fact?

1. Dec 3, 2003 #1
    Hello,

I just completed viewing a documentary on The Learning Channel on time travel, and what they said greatly suprised me: satellites that NASA uses are set up so that the clock on the satellite is rewinded or set to adjust to the fraction of a second the satellite gains by traveling around Earth at a faster speed than the Earth rotates. In other words, NASA knows fast moving objects time travel into the future, so they have to adjust the clocks, or at least this is what the narrator claimed on the show I just watched today.

Regards,

Niels Bohr

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every physicist on earth understands both special- and general-relativistic time dilation.

- Warren

4. Dec 3, 2003 #3
    Can you summarize the theory for me?

Thanks.

Niels Bohr

5. Dec 3, 2003 #4

jb

haven't you ever seen star trek? they travel faster than the speed of light, yet they don't travel in time.

6. Dec 3, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When a clock travels with a high velocity relative to you, it will appear to you to run slowly.

When a clock is higher than you in a gravitational field, it will appear to you to run slowly.

Both of these effects are necessarily considered for timing satellites like the GPS.

- Warren

7. Dec 4, 2003 #6
    I'm sure they did not say the clocks time travel to the future.
    The claim made by the theories of Relativity is that the faster an object is going relative to you, the observer, the slower time passes for that faster object when you, the observer, measure it. A person on board the faster spacecraft doesn't measure his own time as passing any differently, though. To them time passes normally. Strangely, if they measure our time, our time is measured as going slower.

8. Dec 4, 2003 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't consider this "time travel." "time travel" to me would mean making a jump to another time, skipping the time between. Otherwise, I'm sitting here now experiencing time travel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?