Nasa offers reward for trash removal

• NASA
  • Thread starter corra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa
In summary, Nasa is having difficulty discarding small pieces of space debris. There are thousands of them orbiting the Earth, and Nasa has tried various methods to remove them, but so far none have been successful. Two possible solutions are small maintenance robots that would live on the junk and launch tiny rockets to push it away, or nets that would catch the debris and push it out into space.
corra
Hello, i saw a reward posted for the solution of the problem of space trash by Nasa.

There are thousands of small objects in space that are discarded rocket parts, pieces of satelittes and general junk up there.
It is orbiting the Earth at high speeds and Nasa can't solve this problem (yet)

i read that they have had some ideas that were either too much of a long shot or just not doable in praksis such as heating the object with lasers from the ground til they evaporate etc.

I have a few ideas that may or may not be stupid, i do not know the answer because i don't know what technologies Nasa has available.

These ideas may be garbage if they don't have the tech, or if it would be too costly, so please come with ideas of your own.
After all... if we solve this it would be awsome for the forum, and whoevers idea they think is worth the effort.

Idea 1: Small maintenance robots. If we could build small robots (size of a football) and remote control them from Earth we could launch maintenance satelittes that control their assigned area for scrap objects. They would run on electricity and a propellant of choice and be able to refuel and reload at the sattelite.

this would be the permanent solution. with tech advancement it would be made automatic and run by computers. BUT.. it would probably be outside anyone space agency's budget so international co-operation would be needed.
maybe divide up the sky in sectors and divide the responsibility around.

Idea 2: Small rockets. this would be a temporary solution. i do not have the tech knowledge at all to think if this could work but it seems like a possible scenario.
Picture a piece of material that is hard and light, it has the shape and size of a card. This would be the front of the missile. Aero dynamics don't aply to space so it should have no influence over the amount of fuel needed to reach the same speeds as the object its tracking.
The missile is small, the tip hard. how many would fit on a run of the mill launch?

The thing about this scenario is that the missiles are so small that it would not require its own launch rocket. they could take as many as they could fit on the missions already going to space.

ps. i didnt know where to put this thread.
There are so many to choose from, physics, theory, math, astrology and space dynamics etc.
so please don't delete if i posted it in the wrong forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Errrrrrr...I'll let someone else comment, or delete this thread. You're ideas don't sound very realistic to me, sorry. :frown:

Could you be a little more specific?.
what isn't realistic?

is it too expensive or not the required tech?

HA HA HA! There's a blast from the past. Thanks Janus!

Janus said:
Why don't we just call Quark:
http://quark.name/

How in the world do you pronouce "Cyb"? Who would name their daughter Cyb?

berkeman said:
How in the world do you pronouce "Cyb"? Who would name their daughter Cyb?

It's short for Cybil, as in Shepard... pronounced 'sib'.

i think the small rocket idea would just make more space garbage since not all would hit, and youd be putting more stuff up there.

how bout giant space nets?

the missiles arent explosive, they are more like "bilijard balls" their purpose is to impact with the trash and either push it out into space or into the atmosphere. both are good.

Space nets: how big are we talking?, what propells them, how do they work etc.

Regarding the robots: How do the they get rid of trash? How do they even know where it is? Automated rendezvous with even a cooperative target remains a very challenging problem. The trash is a very non-cooperative target.

Regarding the rockets: Do you realize how much energy must be imparted to "push an object into space" or into the atmosphere? How do you keep your rockets from adding to the space trash problem?

hmmm, there is much i haven't thought off...
i went from the assumtion that NASA had a map over their locations and velocities.
if so then the calculations should be possible.

1. What is the purpose of NASA's "trash removal" reward?

NASA's "trash removal" reward is part of their ongoing efforts to clean up space debris and ensure the safety of future space missions. By incentivizing the removal of large pieces of debris, NASA hopes to reduce the risk of collisions in space.

2. How much is the reward for removing space debris?

The reward varies depending on the size and type of debris being removed. NASA has set aside $7.5 million for the program, with individual rewards ranging from $15,000 to $250,000.

3. Who can participate in the "trash removal" program?

The program is open to any individual or organization that has the capability to remove space debris. This includes private companies, academic institutions, and even individuals with the necessary technology and resources.

4. How can I submit a proposal for the "trash removal" program?

To submit a proposal, interested parties must first register on NASA's website and then submit a detailed proposal outlining their plan for removing the debris. Proposals will be evaluated based on technical feasibility, safety, and cost-effectiveness.

5. What are the potential benefits of participating in NASA's "trash removal" program?

Participating in the program not only helps to reduce the amount of space debris and improve the safety of space missions, but it also offers the opportunity for technological advancement and potential partnerships with NASA. Additionally, successful participants will receive monetary rewards for their efforts.