NASA's X-43A Proves Hypersonic Scramjet Flight

• NASA
  • Thread starter Chen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flight
In summary: It's about time it's being implemented.In summary, NASA is developing an oxygen-based scramjet engine that can reach speeds of 10 times the speed of sound. This engine has potential uses in space travel, such as launching satellites and spacecraft into orbit. However, it will still require a rocket for takeoff from Mars or the Moon, where there is no air. This technology could also have practical applications in ultra-high fast shipments and weapon systems. Additionally, the development of space elevators may make this technology obsolete in the future.
Chen
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/03/040329074842.htm

Sounds pretty neat, but I'm wondering what NASA is going to do with an oxygen-based scramjet engine. http://www.thedailyfarce.com/science.cfm?story=2004%5C03%5Cscience_x43aflies7timesspeedofsound_03200400054 [Broken] it says "If we can get up to 10 times the speed of sound, man, we could probably get another $10 Billion from President Bush. He loves fast machines. I'll probably tell him that we can use the X-43A to go to the Moon or Mars. He'll love that." But how can this engine be used to go the Moon if there is no air along the way?!

(It took a lot of inner strength to ignore the humor in the quote by the way... I'd like to keep this on topic. :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The engine that took the Appollo missions to the moon did not burn most of the way there. These missions were accomplished by one big push at the beginning, then a lot of coasting. Most of the fuel burned on these missions was burned getting off the ground and up out of the atmosphere, while accelerating up to orbital speeds.The X-34 (well, actually, one of its larger decendants) can get this job done far more cheaply. After Mach 10 is achieved and the craft has left the atmosphere, rocket engines can do the rest.

With very little rocket boost, the hypersoar could be a spaceshuttle, or with even less rocket power (launched from a payload bay), it could be a very cheap method for delivering sattelites into orbit. Of course, this latter technique can also be used to put components for a Moon launch, or even a Mars launch into orbit, which is a much cheaper start-point from which to launch these missions.

Ok, I understood that much. But how will they take off from Mars or the Moon with these engines? There is no air over there, is there?

No,

A rocket of some sort will be needed in that case.

The scramjets aren't going to be enough on their own to get to orbit, but they can still provide the majority of the velocity. Every kg of oxidizer you pull from the air instead of bringing it along for the ride is more mass you can get to orbit.

More feasible offshoots of the research will be ultra-high fast shipments (when it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday...) or weapon systems (why use stealth when you're going so fast they can barely see you, let alone hit you).

enigma said:
ultra-high fast shipments (when it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday...)

:biggrin:

I have been hearing promises of the day that I can fly to China for lunch for most of my life; not that I could ever afford it mind you. This is the first real indicator that I have seen that such a thing might happen anytime soon - say in the next 20 or 30 years.

I predict that space elevators will eventually make this all a moot point for getting to space. It seems to me that the economy of elevators must win out once the technology becomes possible...which some claim is now.

Anyway, this is really, really cool. It's about time. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
Anyway, this is really, really cool. It's about time. :smile:
My thoughts exactly. I remember reading about this stuff like 15 years ago.

1. What is the X-43A and what does it do?

The X-43A is an experimental aircraft developed by NASA to test hypersonic flight technology. It is a scramjet-powered vehicle that can travel at speeds up to Mach 9.6, or almost 7,000 miles per hour.

2. How does the X-43A achieve hypersonic flight?

The X-43A uses a scramjet engine, which works by compressing incoming air at supersonic speeds and mixing it with fuel to create combustion. This allows the aircraft to reach hypersonic speeds without the need for traditional rocket engines.

3. What was the purpose of the X-43A flight test?

The X-43A flight test was conducted to demonstrate the feasibility of using scramjet technology for hypersonic flight. It also aimed to collect data on the performance of the aircraft and its engine in real-world conditions.

4. What were the results of the X-43A flight test?

The X-43A successfully achieved hypersonic speeds of Mach 9.6 and flew for approximately 10 seconds, setting a new world record for the fastest air-breathing aircraft. It also collected valuable data on scramjet engine performance and flight dynamics.

5. What are the potential applications of the X-43A technology?

The X-43A technology has the potential to revolutionize air travel, military operations, and space exploration. It could lead to the development of faster and more efficient aircraft, as well as enable high-speed transportation and access to space at a lower cost.