1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nasty Integrals

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    I'm in a mathematical statistics class and it is spanking me. Please help.

I have two questions that will really help me understand things if I get a nice explanation.

1. A random variable Y has the following probability function p(y) = y[tex]^{2}[/tex]/15 for y = 1, 2, 3. Findthe moment generating function for Y.

What this problem requires is the integration of m(t) = E[e^ty] = [tex]\int[/tex] e[tex]^{ty}[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]/15dy integrated from 1 to 3.

I used integration by parts but succeeded in getting something very large and ugly.

The second question is along the same lines:

2. Let Y be a random variable with [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]^{'}_{k}[/tex]=[1 + 2[tex]^{k+1}[/tex] + 3[tex]^{k+1}[/tex]]/6

I need to inegrate m(t) = E[e[tex]^{ty}[/tex]] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]e^{ty}[/tex][1 + 2[tex]^{k+1}[/tex] + 3[tex]^{k+1}[/tex]]/6 dy from 0 to infinity finding the first four terms and indicating the sum continues.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Large and ugly? I don't see why you would! Any time you have a power of x times an integrable function, it should be reasonably easy to reduce. Let u= y2 and dv= etydy. Then du= 2y dy and v= (1/t)ety. You now have
    [tex](1/t)e^{ty}y^2\right|_{y=1}^{3} -(2/t)\int_{y= 1}^3 ye^{ty}dy[/tex]
    Use integration by parts again with u= y, dv= etydy.

Are you sure that's what you have? [1+ 2k+1+ 3k+1]/6 is a constant! You only need to integrate ety.
  4. Oct 27, 2007 #3
    I see where I went wrong on the first problem. my dv and my v for the first integration by parts was switched. Thanks for clearing that up.
  5. Oct 27, 2007 #4
    On the second problem it isn't an integral. Its a sum. Here is how I should have written it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?