Evaluating \lim_{\ x \to 0^+} \frac{\ e^{-1/x}}{x}

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the limit \lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{e^{-1/x}}{x} using L'Hopital's Rule and Taylor series. One suggestion is to make the substitution u=1/x, which changes the indeterminate form to \infty/\infty. This allows for the use of L'Hopital's Rule to find the value of the limit. The importance of making substitutions in mathematics is also emphasized.
qspeechc

Homework Statement

Evaluate: [tex]\lim_{\ x \to 0^+} \frac{\ e^{-1/x}}{x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

L'Hopitals' Rule maybe? Taylor series?

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I did anything, my guess was this tends to 0, as exponentials decay faster than rational funtions.

The limits as -1/x tends to 0 from the right is [tex]-\infty[/tex]
So:
[tex]\lim_{\ x \to 0^+} \ e^{-1/x} = 0[/tex]

and ofcourse the limit of x as x tends to 0 is 0. So it is of indeterminate form 0/0
Using L'Hopital's Rule:

[tex]\lim_{\ x \to 0^+} \frac{\ e^{-1/x}}{x^2}[/tex]

And that is still of indeterminate form 0/0. In fact, you can see that using L'Hopitals Rule will always generate an indeterminate form 0/0. Taylor series are no better: after the exapansion you get
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2} +\frac{1}{2x^5} +...[/tex] or something of that nature, point is, it diverges.
Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at it from the other end of the reals: Let [itex]u=1/x[/itex]. Then

[tex]\frac{e^{-\;1/x}}{x} = ue^{-u} = \frac{u}{e^u}[/tex]

You might take the logarithm of the fraction, and try to evaluate:
[tex]\lim_{x\to0^{+}}-\frac{1}{x}-\ln(x)=\lim_{x\to0^{+}}-\frac{1+x\ln(x)}{x}[/tex]

try subs x = 1/ ln y and then try L'hopital..

thats correct.

Thank-you everyone for your answers, but I do not like substitutions, like put x=(...),
is there any way to solve it without the substitution?

Look at it from the other end of the reals:
I do not get this substitution, or any other substitution for that matter! Why, and how, look at it from the other end? Or is it merely a substitution one must use to solve the problem, but has no real meaning. Am I making sense?

Making substitutions is a very important tool. You had better learn to love them if you want to proceed far in mathematics.

In the case of my example, u=1/x, the substitution changes an indeterminate expression of the form [itex]0/0[/itex] as [itex]x\to0[/itex] to an indeterminate expression f the form [itex]\infty/\infty[/itex] as [itex]u\to\infty[/itex]. The advantage of the substitution is that using L'Hopital's Rule yields a value.

Ok, thank you again everyone, otherwise I would have really struggled with this one!

What is the limit of the function as x approaches 0 from the positive side?

The limit of the function as x approaches 0 from the positive side is 0.

Why is it important to evaluate this limit?

This limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function around the point x = 0 and can provide insights into the overall behavior of the function.

How do you evaluate this limit?

To evaluate this limit, we can use L'Hopital's rule or rewrite the function in terms of a power series and then take the limit as x goes to 0.

What is the significance of the exponential term in the function?

The exponential term in the function, e-1/x, approaches 0 faster than any polynomial as x approaches 0. This means that the function is highly sensitive to small changes in x near the point x = 0.

What does the limit tell us about the behavior of the function at x = 0?

The limit tells us that the function approaches 0 as x approaches 0 from the positive side, indicating that the function has a vertical asymptote at x = 0. This means that the function is undefined at x = 0 and has infinitely large values as x gets closer to 0 from the positive side.