1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nasty Limit

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate: [tex]\lim_{\ x \to 0^+} \frac{\ e^{-1/x}}{x}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    L'Hopitals' Rule maybe? Taylor series?

3. The attempt at a solution

Before I did anything, my guess was this tends to 0, as exponentials decay faster than rational funtions.

The limits as -1/x tends to 0 from the right is [tex]-\infty[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{\ x \to 0^+} \ e^{-1/x} = 0[/tex]

and ofcourse the limit of x as x tends to 0 is 0. So it is of indeterminate form 0/0
    Using L'Hopital's Rule:

[tex]\lim_{\ x \to 0^+} \frac{\ e^{-1/x}}{x^2}[/tex]

And that is still of indeterminate form 0/0. In fact, you can see that using L'Hopitals Rule will always generate an indeterminate form 0/0. Taylor series are no better: after the exapansion you get
    [tex]\frac{1}{x^2} +\frac{1}{2x^5} +...[/tex] or something of that nature, point is, it diverges.
    Help please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

Look at it from the other end of the reals: Let [itex]u=1/x[/itex]. Then

[tex]\frac{e^{-\;1/x}}{x} = ue^{-u} = \frac{u}{e^u}[/tex]
  4. Nov 1, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You might take the logarithm of the fraction, and try to evaluate:
  5. Nov 1, 2007 #4
    try subs x = 1/ ln y and then try L'hopital..
  6. Nov 1, 2007 #5
    thats correct.
  7. Nov 1, 2007 #6
    Thank-you everyone for your answers, but I do not like substitutions, like put x=(...),
    is there any way to solve it without the substitution?

I do not get this substitution, or any other substitution for that matter! Why, and how, look at it from the other end? Or is it merely a substitution one must use to solve the problem, but has no real meaning. Am I making sense?
  8. Nov 1, 2007 #7

D H

Staff: Mentor

Making substitutions is a very important tool. You had better learn to love them if you want to proceed far in mathematics.

In the case of my example, u=1/x, the substitution changes an indeterminate expression of the form [itex]0/0[/itex] as [itex]x\to0[/itex] to an indeterminate expression f the form [itex]\infty/\infty[/itex] as [itex]u\to\infty[/itex]. The advantage of the substitution is that using L'Hopital's Rule yields a value.
  9. Nov 1, 2007 #8
    Ok, thank you again everyone, otherwise I would have really struggled with this one!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?