Have you ever taught orbital mechanics to middle schoolers?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, the conversation was about celebrating National Aerospace Week and how one company decided to give a presentation to middle school students to raise their interest in satellites. The presenters dedicated two full days to the presentation, which covered topics like orbital elements and controlling satellites using physics principles. The classes were held at a charter school with a space theme and a discovery center that had interactive labs and simulations. The project was tiring but worthwhile, and the group hopes to continue it annually. The conversation also mentioned NASA Day of Education and a fun event called Moon the Amtrak in July.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This week is National Aerospace Week. So what are you folks doing to celebrate?

Our company decided giving a presentation to middle school students that might raise their interest in satellites would be a good idea (seeing as how my company does a lot of work in the space field). I don't think our management folks really understood what they were signing up to do.

Instead of us doing a simple hour long presentation as originally envisioned, it wound up being me and one other person I work with dedicating two full days to do the presentation for the 8th grade science classes of a local school (all 8 science classes).

Interesting school. Previously it was "failed" middle school that was closed due to poor performance on standardized tests. So it was reincarnated as a charter school with a space theme. Right next to the school, they have a discovery center that technically belongs to the entire school district, but has a very close relationship with the middle school since it ties into the theme of the charter school. The discovery center has an STK (Satellite Took Kit) lab using software and computers donated by AGI. In one of the other rooms they're building a Mars landscape and have a bunch of robotic rovers made by Lego and donated by Honeywell. The kids can learn to program their rovers to do various things on the Mars landscape. Very cool.

My coworker did an explanation of orbital elements and had an STK based lab where they modified the different elements and could see what the effect was on the satellite orbits. They were very wowed by STK and really enjoyed the class.

I did a class on how we control satellites using some basic physics principles. I covered angular momentum, moment of inertia, with some nice demos and explained and had a couple demos on how those principles could be applied to control the rotation of satellites, plus talked a little about precession maneuvers (since part of the class was spinning a tire and let students feel how it felt to try change the angle of the tire, the precession maneuvers were kind of a natural follow-on to explain exactly why the tire reacted the way it did).

One teacher's science class did the STK lab one day, then the attitude control class the next, while the other science teacher's class did the attitude control one day, then the STK lab the next, so we taught 4 classes each day for 2 days.

Very fun. Also very tiring. I teach orbital mechanics classes to adults that wind up being a little over 6 hours of teaching per day several days in a row. I was surprised to be a lot more tired after teaching 2 four hour days. The kids are little more challenging than adults since it's harder to keep the entire class's attention, plus it's actually hard to teach the same material over and over than it is to keep teaching new material each hour.

Very worthwhile, too. To build the classes, I took the simplest stuff from the adult classes I teach, so it was interesting to get the perspective of a completely different audience. I think some of that will help make the way I run the demos for my adult classes better.

And very worthwhile for the discovery center. The whole complex - the charter school and the discovery center - are new, so the two people running the STK lab are still figuring out how to use STK and how to use the simulations to teach something actually relevant.

Very fun project. I hope we do something like this again.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's excellent, Bob. I hope your company will continue this as an annual event. I'm sure the students got a lot out of it.

I did not even know it was National Aerospace Week... which is kind of sad given I work at NASA. I have seen nothing on campus about it or any supporting emails.

Though we do have the NASA Day of Education (October 8) coming up and there has been a big push for that.

All this week, I'm going to wave at any airplanes I see.

lisab said:

Remember to wave at the International Space Station, too.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/

lisab said:

Heck, if you think that's fun, com visit me next July and we'll go Moon the Amtrak.

http://www.moonamtrak.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is National Aerospace Week?

National Aerospace Week is an annual event in the United States that celebrates and raises awareness about the contributions of the aerospace industry to the economy, national security, and scientific advancements.

When is National Aerospace Week?

National Aerospace Week is typically observed during the first full week of September.

Who celebrates National Aerospace Week?

National Aerospace Week is celebrated by various organizations and institutions involved in the aerospace industry, including government agencies, aerospace companies, and educational institutions.

What events take place during National Aerospace Week?

During National Aerospace Week, there may be events such as open houses, educational programs, career fairs, and exhibitions to showcase the latest advancements in aerospace technology.

How can I get involved in National Aerospace Week?

You can get involved in National Aerospace Week by attending events, volunteering, or participating in educational programs related to aerospace. You can also show your support by spreading awareness on social media using the hashtag #NationalAerospaceWeek.