Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

National geographic shocker

1. Nov 24, 2005 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The very first one knocked me out : fewer Americans (ages 14 - 25) know the (ballpark) population of the US, than folks from any of the other countries.

There were several shockers along the way as well, but a big shock came near the end when it showed that many more Americans know where the Pacific Ocean is, compared to Swedes (by this time, I'd built up some disbelief momentum in a certain direction, and this complete reversal - though partially understadable - completely threw me).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  4. Nov 24, 2005 #3

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I'm still in the middle of taking this test, but I am shocked that only 89% of Americans could identify the US on a world map.

5. Nov 24, 2005 #4
    I got them all. =)

I was shocked about the Afghanistan one...

6. Nov 24, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was one that really got me too.

7. Nov 24, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah... the US has roughly 1/3 of the entire planets population right? :P

Wait, how does this know what age i am?

I'm guessing these country-based results were done ahead of time.

And wow, i did not know Christianity had the largest following... I always thought it was Hinduism or Buddhism.

I can understand why north america was the only good showing on the el nino one...

How the hell are the results for "Which two countries have populations over 1 billion people" so bad?

Again, amazing... 10% of americans surveyed didnt even know where America is on the map...

haha poor sweden, no one knows where it is.

8. Nov 24, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The statistic that surprised me the most was that more French identified Italy on the map than Italians.

The fact that the US did so poorly overall was no surprise. :frown:

9. Nov 24, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I wonder what a math-based survey would look like

Or do i even want to know...

I wonder how bad this survey would have looked if they stuck to African or Southeast asian countries. I think everyone would fall within a margin of error from 0%.

10. Nov 24, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That's what you get when "feelings" and "creativity" are more important then ... not being idiots.

11. Nov 24, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I wonder, given a picture of the solar system, how many Americans could pick out the earth?

12. Nov 24, 2005 #11
    On the other hand, a lot of American know which part of the world is the biggest exporter of oil. :smile:

It's also slightly hilarious that more Mexicans know where the United States is than Americans.

13. Nov 24, 2005 #12

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Brits can't find Japan?

14. Nov 24, 2005 #13
    That would make me cry.

I also wonder how many Americans could write out Maxwell's equations in their differential and intergral form, and the Schroedinger equation?

-That would make me commit suicide... Although I guess there's no shame if you can't.

15. Nov 24, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was the one that shocked me the most! I only missed the one about the largest world religion...I actually thought it was something other than Christianity.

I wasn't shocked, but found it disturbing nonetheless, that such a high percentage of Americans couldn't identify the middle eastern countries and didn't know which one the Taliban and Al Quaeda originated in.

16. Nov 24, 2005 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Geography is one of my favorite subjects. I got 20/20 on the test :tongue:

17. Nov 24, 2005 #16
    You know Pengwuino, I've watched your postings for quite a while and I have a pretty good idea of what your views are. But I cannot resist pointing out the grammatical error in the above especially considering the context. BTW, from watching your postings, I can tell you it's not the first.

18. Nov 24, 2005 #17
    Well, it wasn't exactly a hard test. I think I suck at geography, and I still got 20/20 on that test.

19. Nov 24, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have been okay on Southeast Asian countries, but admit I'd have run into problems if the questions were all on African countries. I can roughly place them in quadrants of the continent, but definitely am deficient in identifying specific countries there.

20. Nov 24, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I got a few wrong because of not being able to see the map very well. Some of the numbers were impossible for me to read. Also got the religion one wrong because of the populations of the countries where Buddhism and Hinduism are prevailent.

21. Nov 24, 2005 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I believe Jay Leno once did a show where he sent a crew out to Santa Monica College to ask students how many planets were in the Solar System and other basic astronomy questions. It didn't go well, but made for some good comedy!

Funny there was no statistic on how many people could find their backside with both hands. I would have thought that would have been question number one. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?