National geographic shocker

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
ONJ's Noble Steed said:
Well, it wasn't exactly a hard test. I think I suck at geography, and I still got 20/20 on that test.
but i am an american :tongue:

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wasteofo2 said:
After Mexico embarassed the USA in so many topics, it was surprising that so few Mexicans knew the answer to the question of which city was farthest west...
I wonder if that might not have been a linguistic difficulty. It's not clear whether the test was administered everywhere in English.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
I wonder if that might not have been a linguistic difficulty. It's not clear whether the test was administered everywhere in English.
It couldn't have been or else things would have been much worse.

Kerrie said:
but i am an american :tongue:
So you're implying that I'm NOT an American? How did you know that?

It's funny how in school we were indocrinated that we are the luckiest people in the world because we were born in this "great country" called the United States, which offers wonderful opportunities to get an education, etc. At least some of that is true, but I'm just sitting here thanking my lucky stars that I was NOT born in the US. I've lived in America for quite a long time now, but I don't plan to stay here forever.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
ONJ's Noble Steed said:
It's funny how in school we were indocrinated that we are the luckiest people in the world because we were born in this "great country" called the United States, which offers wonderful opportunities to get an education, etc. At least some of that is true, but I'm just sitting here thanking my lucky stars that I was NOT born in the US. I've lived in America for quite a long time now, but I don't plan to stay here forever.
Yah we're given wonderful opportunities

Unfortunately, people seem to think football, baseball, sports in general, higher enrollment rates, and politics is more important then... ya know.... education.

I though at first that this was a survey to show how dumb America is, so I expected to see other countries in the 90s for every question. I wasn't suprized at America's results, it's the other countries like Sweden, Germany, and Great Britain that suprized me. Like a quarter of those countries' peoples couldn't find the pacific ocean on the map. That's just sad. And I thought Europeans had good schools. Bah!

I give up on humanity. I don't know how any reasonably intelligent human being could have missed more than one or two questions on that test. I only had to think about one question and that was the question that asked "where is Afganistan(sp?) located on this map?" But I still got 20/20.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
I honestly do wonder what would happen if i was able to walk up to superintendant of a school system and ask "why are these kids so stupid"....

And it's like no one really wants to deal with this problem! There has probably been 1000x as many articles published about this intelligent design in school crap then there has been about the overall failure of our school system. It's like no one wants to hear about this. No one wants to hear about their stupid little school system failing in all worthwhile aspects.

Evo said:
I wonder, given a picture of the solar system, how many Americans could pick out the earth?
Howards Stern used to bring people who were exceptionally dull mentally into his studio and ask them questions. I particularly remember that all of them did not know how many planets there are in the solar system, most did not know which planet earth is, and one particularly ditzy stripper couldn't even identify what planet she was on at that moment.

I got 20/20 but spent a lot of time figuring our Isarel(I thought it was a huge counrty near Iraq), I then did it by elimination.
I wonder why the NATGEO didnt take the survey in Asian countries

I received a funny video clip via email yesterday. It's somewhat related to this discussion. Americans were asked, by an Australian (I guess it was taken from an Australian TV show), which country should be invaded next with respect to the War on Terror. Most answers were somewhere in the Middle East. Next, there was asked to mark that nation in a map with countries labled, and with Australia (mis)labled as that particular country! Even then many marked Australia! One even remarked how much larger "N.Korea" (Australia) was compared to "S.Korea"(Tasmania)! :rofl:

Don't ask me how the presenter knew what to name Australia. It looks like he had a stack of maps.

As for this Nat.Geo survey, I got 18/20. Got the questions on the population of the U.S (Guessed 500M - 750M) and the location of Sweden wrong.

Regards,
Navneeth

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was surprised that more Mexicans could find the US on a map than people from the United States -- especially since only 29% of Mexicans could find West on a map.

I'd say there must be differences in the geographic skills taught in each country. People in the US seem to be pretty bad at reading global maps while Mexicans don't seem to pay much attention to the people living in various countries.

The biggest shock was that Sweden has successfully hidden itself from the entire world. Besides Sweden, only Germans had a better than 50% chance of finding Sweden. I could kind of understand it if the alternate choices were Norway, Finland, and Denmark, but the other choices were Great Britain, Poland, and Australia!

In general, it seems that if you speak English, you don't know that much about geography.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
neutrino said:
One even remarked how much larger "N.Korea" (Australia) was compared to "S.Korea"(Tasmania)! :rofl:
That's just priceless ! Do you still have the file ?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Last edited by a moderator:

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
Take this survey, and look at the numbers below each answer showing the results by country.
http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/templates/question_1.html [Broken]
Which statistic shocked you the most and why ?
11% of americans can't even locate their own country?? :bugeye:
pretty much the whole survey shocked me, funny that the americans DO know which region exports the most oil..

Last edited by a moderator:

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
Only 15% of the French knew what El Nino is. France is stupid.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
FredGarvin said:
Only 15% of the French knew what El Nino is. France is stupid.
I know you're kidding, but what's your guess on the fraction of Americans who know what the Mistral really is?

Gokul43201 said:
That's just priceless ! Do you still have the file ?
Sure I do...can't afford to lose something as priceless as that! :biggrin: Want me to forward it to you?

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was surprised (honestly) to find that only 98% of Swedes can find Sweden! If THAT statistic can't be 100%, nothing can!

matthyaouw

Gold Member
I wonder why so much emphasis is being placed on locating somewhere on a map... Is it really that important a skill? It's not like you'll ever be told you have to find your own way there, nor does not knowing where Afghanistan is affect your understanding of its political situation.
(19/20 by the way. Didn't get the religion one)

wasteofo2 said:
Here's a pie chart of which percent of the world follows which religion.
http://www.adherents.com/images/rel_pie.gif
Wow, I really had no idea Judaism made such a small percentage.

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Entropy said:
I wasn't suprized at America's results, it's the other countries like Sweden, Germany, and Great Britain that suprized me. Like a quarter of those countries' peoples couldn't find the pacific ocean on the map. That's just sad. And I thought Europeans had good schools. Bah.
Well, there are several different names for the Pacific ocean. I myself know it best as the Great ocean or the 'Silent' ocean, not the Pacific.

I had some good teachers, so I got all of those right, easily. These statistics do not surprize me especially sitting with some of these people who are bringing down the national average, every day at school. I think a lot of this has to do with television and the current culture of the United States. I find that I can't even watch something remotly intelliegent any time I want. I mean look at how far the discovery channel has fallen. I used to watch that all of the time. I loved "Blue Planet." But then slowly I watched it be consumed by reality TV and now I barely watch it. There is so much previlance on how things look and that is why most kids do not take the time to pursue what they are interested in.
-Scott

Pengwuino

Gold Member
matthyaouw said:
I wonder why so much emphasis is being placed on locating somewhere on a map... Is it really that important a skill?
National geographic was doing the survey.... those punks :D

I was wondering something, isn't El Nino more prevelant in the Pacific Ocean then in the other oceans?

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
I was wondering something, isn't El Nino more prevelant in the Pacific Ocean then in the other oceans?
Yes, that's right.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Well then that would make sense as to why north america had such better statistics as far as that question was concerned.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Well then that would make sense as to why north america had such better statistics as far as that question was concerned.
...as did Japan, naturally.