What Surprised You Most About the National Geographic Geosurvey Results?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, national geographic shocker! was the statistic that surprised the most and why. There were several other shockers, including the fact that fewer Americans (ages 14-25) know the population of the US, than folks from any of the other countries, and that Christianity has the largest following.
I count grad students (PhD education right?) as Research, so if that is grouped in Education I see why the US would invest more (I don't think that is true for other types of Education as I mentioned.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I've also heard that the teacher-student ratio is among the highest in the US (I believe the national average is around 1:17 or so). I"m not sure what it is in other countries.

Monique said:
I count grad students (PhD education right?) as Research, so if that is grouped in Education I see why the US would invest more (I don't think that is true for other types of Education as I mentioned.)
He was referring to primary education - ages 5-18 years, which is through the end of high school.

Evo said:
He was referring to primary education - ages 5-18 years, which is through the end of high school.
With he you mean Penguino, and that the government subsidizes primary education?

Evo, she was responding to my post (#70).

Monique said:
With he you mean Penguino, and that the government subsidizes primary education?
The type of questions in that quiz, especially all the geography, really should only require about an 8th grade education (knowing east from west, identifying oceans and countries). And, yes, the government ensures that primary and secondary education is free for all children (you can pay for a private school, but that's a choice...the free education is always available).

Also, comparing tuition paid by the student isn't really a good indicator of how much is paid by the government unless we have some way of knowing the total cost is the same. For people who really can't afford college, there are need-based government grants to help them pay, and there are also a lot of scholarship options.

It's also difficult to really separate research and teaching costs at universities. A substantial portion of "research" dollars goes to the university to be used however they want, which includes getting put into teaching budgets and hiring teaching faculty.

Gokul43201 said:
Evo, she was responding to my post (#70).
I was referring to Pengwuino's post, sorry, I didn't mean it was you.

BobG said:
I was surprised that more Mexicans could find the US on a map than people from the United States -- especially since only 29% of Mexicans could find West on a map.
That's because Mexican youngsters only need to know which ways North :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
The type of questions in that quiz, especially all the geography, really should only require about an 8th grade education (knowing east from west, identifying oceans and countries). And, yes, the government ensures that primary and secondary education is free for all children (you can pay for a private school, but that's a choice...the free education is always available).
Also, comparing tuition paid by the student isn't really a good indicator of how much is paid by the government unless we have some way of knowing the total cost is the same. For people who really can't afford college, there are need-based government grants to help them pay, and there are also a lot of scholarship options.
It's also difficult to really separate research and teaching costs at universities. A substantial portion of "research" dollars goes to the university to be used however they want, which includes getting put into teaching budgets and hiring teaching faculty.
Sure, I was just surprised about the figure mentioned that "the U.S. spends the second highest amount of money per student out of any country in the world". The US has the image that parents start saving for their kids' education when they are born, while here government 'takes care of everything' up until you graduate from university. I know international students who go to Germany or Sweden because universities are practically free there (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, thanks for backing up the statistic :smile:

Monique said:
Sure, I was just surprised about the figure mentioned that "the U.S. spends the second highest amount of money per student out of any country in the world". The US has the image that parents start saving for their kids' education when they are born, while here government 'takes care of everything' up until you graduate from university. I know international students who go to Germany or Sweden because universities are practically free there (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, thanks for backing up the statistic :smile:
Oh, yeah, the saving up part is so the kids can go to a prestigious private university, which really can be insanely expensive. Having money does give you a lot more choices than just the state universities, but the education at those universities is just as good of quality as a private university.

I missed the El nino question, and the Christianity question. I was shocked when they said Christianity has the largest following. I got the rest correct though. I was unsure on the Afghanistan and Israel questions, but got them right with some elimination.

The weirdest one is that less than 100% in France and Italy know who uses the Euro... THEY DO!

Moonbear said:
So, what country's educational system provided your education? :rolleyes:

This country :P My niece is about to enter junior high and I'm not sure she knows how to multiply yet.

Monique said:

haha i wish people around here saved up... As moonbear said, it's only when you have really good parents and you want to go to say, Stanford or Harvard or MIT etc etc.

Smurf said:
The weirdest one is that less than 100% in France and Italy know who uses the Euro... THEY DO!

You find that to be weirder than 1 in 10 americans not knowing where on a world map they are?

the interesting fact came after the test people who got online in the past 30 days did 65% better.
I might have had a hard time on a couple of the geography ones if the numbers were in the same area, but if you had a basic grasp of which continent to look on you could get the answer easily.
Would Americans be able to pick out the Earth if the test labeled the answers 1st rock from the sun, 2nd rock from the sun, 3rd rock from the sun...
The only one i missed was the first one. I thought we had passed half a billion
You could show these results to the average american and they would still claim mental superiority over other countries. one of you guys should invade and take us over, we are spread pretty thin right now