Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

National Smiles [article]

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/m...90&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&REG_SITES_SUCK

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2

Lisa!

Gold Member

Interesting! But I don't think Cruise has a terrific American smile; at least not in that picture!

4. Dec 21, 2005 #3
    I'm seeing too much Tom lately....
    This research is interesting because I thought that there weren't supposed to be many differences in how cultures expressed emotions. But I suppose the way we smile could be as much of a cultural practice as personal space and rates of eye contact in some societies. Funny how little quirks like that pop up in human culture.

5. Dec 22, 2005 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

Not very surprising for me though! For me somehow it's like postures and gestures which have different meaning in different cultures. Thye're realated to our emotions too.

6. Dec 22, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hope this didnt cost any money....

7. Dec 22, 2005 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

:rofl:
    The research?

8. Dec 25, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Can you Spot the Fake Smile? I just happened to run across this test the other day. I wonder if the explanation they give for how real smiles differ from fake ones holds across cultures.

9. Dec 25, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

wow that is pretty cool. I only got 8 right haha

10. Dec 25, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I got 15/20 the first time. :tongue2: I just took it again so I could get the explanation -- not much improvement: 16/20.

You might want to take the test before reading further.

I realized after the first couple smiles and a little reflection that looking at the eyes seemed most helpful, though I wasn't sure why.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  11. Dec 25, 2005 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

If you ask me, all of them are fake!:tongue:
    Anyway I got 12/20!:redface:

12. Dec 26, 2005 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

17/20.

I was watching TV last night, and I noticed some guys (I think they were British, but not 100% sure) doing both "British" and "American" smiles, so I'm not sure I like this theory much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?