What is the solution to (sinx)*(lnx)= 0 over [0, 2pi]?

• Thread starter name_ask17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
This means that either sin(x)=0 or ln(x)=0. For sin(x)=0, x=0, pi, or 2pi from [0, 2pi]. For ln(x)=0, x=1 from [0, 2pi]. So the solutions for x are 0, 1, pi, and 2pi. In summary, to solve the equation (sinx)*(lnx)= 0 over [0, 2pi], you can use the zero product property and find the solutions for sin(x)=0 and ln(x)=0. This gives the solutions x=0, 1, pi, and 2pi.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

If (sinx)*(lnx)= 0 over [0, 2pi], then what does x equal?

Ok, I know I posted a question similar to this one a few days back, but I need some clarification on something. Below is the work that someone showed me.

lnx=sin^-1 (0)
lnx=0
Log[itex]\hat{}x[/itex][itex]\check{}e[/itex]=0 (If you don't understand that, it is log and the superscript is x, subscript is e)
x=1

First of all, is that correct? Does x=1?

And if so, how did they get the sin inverse over to the right hand side of the equation, because you are not dividing it by 1, you are dividing it by 0, which would just make it 0, not sin inverse. Please clarify if you can. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking at this way too hard. You're multiplying two expressions together, so the only way you're going to get 0 is if sinx = 0 or lnx = 0.

For what value of x is sinx = 0 from [0, 2pi]? For what value of x is lnx = 0 from [0, 2pi]?

name_ask17 said:

Homework Statement

If (sinx)*(lnx)= 0 over [0, 2pi], then what does x equal?

Ok, I know I posted a question similar to this one a few days back, but I need some clarification on something. Below is the work that someone showed me.

lnx=sin^-1 (0) This is not correct !

First of all, is that correct? Does x=1?

And if so, how did they get the sin inverse over to the right hand side of the equation, because you are not dividing it by 1, you are dividing it by 0, which would just make it 0, not sin inverse. Please clarify if you can. Thanks in advance.
Well, x=1 is one solution, but you're right, that is not the way to use the arcsin function.

To solve (sin(x))*(ln(x))= 0 over [0, 2pi], use the zero product property.

What is a natural log?

A natural log, also known as a logarithm with base e, is the inverse function of the exponential function. It is used to solve for the value of x in an exponential equation, where the base is e.

How do I find the value of x using natural logs?

To solve for x in an exponential equation using natural logs, you must take the natural log of both sides of the equation. This will isolate the variable x, allowing you to solve for its value.

What is the value of e in natural logs?

The value of e in natural logs is approximately 2.71828. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, and has many important mathematical properties.

Can I use natural logs to solve for x in any exponential equation?

Yes, natural logs can be used to solve for x in any exponential equation, as long as the base of the exponential function is e. If the base is a different number, you will need to use a different type of logarithm, such as base 10 (common logarithm) or base 2 (binary logarithm).

Are there any restrictions when using natural logs to solve for x?

Yes, when using natural logs to solve for x, the input value of the natural log function must be a positive number. This is because the natural log function is only defined for positive values. Additionally, the base of the exponential equation cannot be 1, as this would result in an undefined value for x.