"Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs

In summary: Thanks for thinking of me!In summary, the people of the future are in a transitional period where they have been able to modify their DNA to include accessories such as communication devices, infrared sights, and joints that can withstand falls from great heights. Very few people have been born with these modifications, and those that have are unable to have children. The people of the future live in "city-nations" that are basically just huge cities.
omnipojack
At the time my story takes place, humans are in an evolutionary transition period. They have been able to modify DNA/genes so that people can have accessories, so to speak (communicator built into your arm, infrared sight, joints that can sustain falls from great heights, etc.), but very few humans have been born with these modifications. There have been babies that were modified in the womb to be as inorganic as possible, but so far those people ended up being infertile.

It is also important to note that humans are now living in "city-nations", entire countries that are basically just huge cities. For example, there is a city-nation that runs the entire length of the North American west coast and is thin (Chile style!). Each City has a defining characteristic that gives the city an identity and brings tourism. One of the Cities has a focus on driving this evolutionary step, so it's teeming with a relevant population.

1. Without further intervention, is there a likely time span for this evolution to take place? What factors will I need to consider?

2. The few humans that have been born, would their modification be a carbon copy of their parent or is it possible that they will have a unique mod? Related, is it possible to know how long it would take for mutations to appear?

3. So far I've decided that this kind of technology really took off after humans perfected quantum computing. Is that reasonable?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as these are answered. Let me know if there's something I've missed!

Physics news on Phys.org
You control that universe, so if you stay consistent and reasonable you can make things happen at the pace that best benefits the story. I sketch out timelines to stay on track. An exposition can be helpful, or it can be turgid. Explaining all this to an alien tourist/visitor might get things going for you?

That makes sense. It's nice to know I'm on the right track! Thanks!

omnipojack said:
That makes sense. It's nice to know I'm on the right track! Thanks!
My rule is "Write what I would like to read."

Likes chasrob
I'm afraid the only thought I keep having is "I wouldn't do it this way." I wouldn't try and pass technology onto our children through their DNA. what I would do instead is inject colonies of nanoids into a child within the first two or three years of their life, and then give the child dietary supplements so that the nanoids could build the components you're thinking about into the child as it develops. I'm torn about whether I should even post this: I might give you a needed insight, or I might screw up everything you've been thinking about. Sorry.

Likes chasrob
Noisy Rhysling said:
You control that universe, so if you stay consistent and reasonable you can make things happen at the pace that best benefits the story. I sketch out timelines to stay on track. An exposition can be helpful, or it can be turgid. Explaining all this to an alien tourist/visitor might get things going for you?
I look forward to that day

1. What is a "Natural Born" Android/Cyborg?

A "Natural Born" Android/Cyborg is a type of artificial intelligence that is designed and built to closely resemble humans in appearance, behavior, and capabilities. They are often used for tasks that are too dangerous, difficult, or tedious for humans to perform.

2. How are "Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs created?

"Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs are created through advanced technologies, such as robotics, artificial intelligence, and genetic engineering. They are often built using human-like materials and are programmed with a complex set of algorithms that enable them to mimic human behavior.

3. Can "Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs feel emotions?

While "Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs are designed to closely resemble humans, they do not possess the same emotional capabilities. They are programmed to simulate emotions and can respond to certain stimuli, but they do not experience emotions in the same way that humans do.

4. Do "Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs have free will?

As advanced as their programming may be, "Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs do not possess free will. They are programmed to follow specific instructions and cannot make decisions on their own.

5. What are the potential ethical implications of creating "Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs?

The creation of "Natural Born" Androids/Cyborgs raises complex ethical questions, such as whether they should have rights and what responsibilities their creators have towards them. There are also concerns about the potential impact on human society and the potential for these advanced beings to surpass human capabilities.