1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural convection between parallel isothermal plates at different temperatures

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    I was searching this forum for a post like mine but couldn't find anything suitable. The problem is as follows:

There is an electronics cabinet with a double wall, and between the walls there is an air-flow that cools down the cabinet. The walls are isothermal and at different temperatures, both temperatures being higher than the ambient one. What I had to do first was to find the heat flow to the fluid when the temperatures were given, and I was able to do that quite easily with a few correlations that I found in a book called "Handbook of heat transfer fundamentals".

Nu=[itex]\frac{qs}{2HW(T_{w}-T_{∞})k}[/itex]

where T[itex]_{w}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}(T_{1}+T_{2})[/itex], s the distance between the plates, H the hight of the plates and W their width. q is the heat thransfer to the fluid from both plates.

Nu[itex]_{fd}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4T*^{2}+7T*+4}{90(1+T*)^{2}}[/itex]Ra

where Ra=[itex]\frac{gβ(T_{w}-T_{∞})s^{3}}{\nu \alpha}[/itex][itex]\frac{s}{H}[/itex] and T*= [itex]\frac{T_{2}-T_{∞}}{T_{1}-T_{∞}}[/itex], [itex]T_{1}≥T_{2}[/itex]

Nu= [itex][(Nu_{fd})^{m}+(cRa^{1/4})^{m}]^{1/m}[/itex]

I know all the constant values and can thus find q. Now to the problem itself:
    After having found q I should find how much energy flows through wall no 2, if there is a constant heat flux from the environment toward wall 1, called [itex]q_{1}[/itex].
    This I need to know in order to find the wall temperatures in another phase of the problem. I know I will have to iterate the temperatures but I am having trouble understanding the physics of this whole problem.

So, What I know is the Nusselt number and the h (from h=[itex]\frac{k}{s}[/itex]Nu) but how can I find the temperatures? What I don't understand is whether the h I already found is only the convection heat transfer from both walls to the fluid or if I can use it in the expression q=hA([itex]T_1-T_2[/itex]), or the heat flow from wall 1 to wall 2, as well. If this is so, I guess I should only find suitable energy balances for both points and then iterate woth some initial temperatures.

Could someone please help me with this? I am a bit stuck as I don't understand the physics of what I am doing quite clearly. Cheers.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted