Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural convection

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    What expression should be used to calculate Nusselt number for free convection (of air) in a vertical channel with walls at different temperatures?

I have the Bar-Cohen and Rohsenow equations, but I am unsure which situation this corresponds to (and thus which constants to use).
    Symmetric isothermal plates (wouldn't this imply Ts,1 = Ts,2 which is not the case?)
    Symmetric isoflux
    Isothermal/adiabatic (I am leaning towards this)
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Wow....I think we're looking at the same book, and I'm surprised this isn't in here. They have good relations for a fully enclosed cavity, which I'm sure you've seen in the next section. They also have a case for flow between concentric cylinders, but nothing about asymmetric heating.

This led me to literature, and I was more surprised on how little I find even in journal papers. The closest I've found so far is FORCED convection between asymmetrically heated plates. I'm going to keep looking for you though.

boy there are a LOT of different types of uniform heating though isn't there?
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Maybe I can use the enclosure equations as an approximation.
  5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

That's what I was originally thinking, however the computed Nusselt number can very quite a bit if you assume L/H = 100:1, or 1000:1, etc. This of course affects the convection coefficient. Also, the enclosed space assumes that there will be a complete convection current. In your case of "infinte" parallel plates, I would think that there would be none. There will probably be some swirl, but I wouldn't think that the flow would come "down", so long as both wall temps are higher than the incoming temp.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?