Solving Natural Deduction Homework in SL

• Thread starter E92M3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the conversation is about a problem set in logic that the person is stuck on. The symbols and equations used in the problem set are not clear and the links provided do not open. Some clarification is requested on the meaning of certain symbols, and the format and rules of natural deduction are discussed in order to solve the problems. The conversation ends with a request for help on different problems, which is considered bad manners as it is seen as "hijacking" the original thread.
E92M3

Homework Statement

I am new at logic and I'm stuck on a problem set:
a)[tex] (~C \vee (A \cap B)) \vdash ((~C \vee A)\cap (~C \vee B))[/tex]
b)[tex] \vdash ((A\cap B) \leftrightarrow (B^A))[/tex]
c)[tex] \vdash (((A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow C) \rightarrow (A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow C)))[/tex]
d)[tex] ((A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow C), ~C \vdash ~A[/tex]
e)[tex] \vdash (~~~A \vee ~~~~A)[/tex]
f)[tex] \vdash ((A \rightarrow B) \vee (B \rightarrow A))[/tex]
g)[tex] \vdash ((A\cap C) \rightarrow B)[/tex]
h)[tex] (A \vee B) \vdash ~~(A \vee B)[/tex]
i)[tex] (A \leftrightarrow B), ~B, (A \vee B) \vdash (C \rightarrow A)[/tex]
j)[tex] ~(~A\cap ~B) \vdash (A \vee B)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Introduction and elimination riles in SL

The Attempt at a Solution

I am new at this but I've done some and stuck on others. Please see attached picture since I don't know how to type derivations with latex.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...th=126b3bda78187865&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw"
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...th=126b3bda78187865&attid=0.3&disp=inline&zw"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are 10 separate problems, right?

Most of the people here on this forum at pretty sharp at logic, but probably more along the lines of mathematical logic, which uses some different symbols.

What does this symbol--[itex]\vdash[/itex]--mean? Implies?

Also, your ~ symbols are not rendering. Here's problem a with what I think you mean.
[tex] (\neg C \vee (A \wedge B)) \vdash ((\neg C \vee A) \wedge (\neg C \vee B))[/tex]

And what does BA mean?

The symbol [itex]\vdash[/itex] means deducibility (the expression on the right may be deduced from the one at the left, by application of the rules), but some of the formulas don't make sense, and I can't open your links either: I just get an error message.

Just one more question, by "SL" you mean sequents, not natural deduction? (They are different.)

Sorry the latex is not picking up my "ands" the attached pictures should be more clear.

ok, everything is fixed. v stands for or

Hey..Im new to this as well and have a few problems to solve. Any chance you guys could help?

1) AvB, 2) ~A, derive B
1) H(I&J), derive HI
1) AB, 2) ~(~B&~C)E, derive AE
1) ~A, 2) ~AZ, 3) QZ, 4) (Q&~A)M, derive M

The  represents a conditonal

Ah... I asked the question half a semester ago and now I got it all figured out.

First let me ask you do u know the format of natural deduction? Do you know the rules of natural deduction?

For the 1st one, will u understand if i write:

1 1.(AvB) A
2 2.~A A
1,2 3.B 1,2 vE q.e.d.

And the 2nd:

1 1.(H->(I&J)) A
2 2.H A
1,2 3.(I&J) 1,2 ->E
1,2 4.I 3 &E
1 5.(H->I) 2,4 ->I q.e.d.

Do u understand what I'm doing and the SL rules that I'm using?

Tasha5584 said:
Hey..Im new to this as well and have a few problems to solve. Any chance you guys could help?

1) AvB, 2) ~A, derive B
1) H(I&J), derive HI
1) AB, 2) ~(~B&~C)E, derive AE
1) ~A, 2) ~AZ, 3) QZ, 4) (Q&~A)M, derive M

The  represents a conditonal
It is considered "hijacking a thread" and therefore bad manners to tack a different question onto an existing thread. There's a button labelled New Thread that you can use to start (surprise, surprise!) a new thread.

1. What is Natural Deduction in Symbolic Logic (SL)?

Natural Deduction is a method used in symbolic logic to prove the validity of a logical argument. It involves using a set of rules and axioms to derive conclusions from premises.

2. How do I approach solving Natural Deduction homework?

To solve Natural Deduction homework, you should first carefully read the premises and identify any key terms or logical operators. Then, you can apply the rules and axioms to derive a conclusion that logically follows from the given premises.

3. Are there any tips for solving Natural Deduction problems more efficiently?

One helpful tip is to work backwards from the desired conclusion. This can help guide your reasoning and make the process more efficient. Additionally, it can be helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the different rules and axioms used in Natural Deduction.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

Your solution is correct if it follows all of the rules and axioms of Natural Deduction and leads to the desired conclusion. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all of your steps are logical and valid.

5. Can I use a calculator or computer to solve Natural Deduction problems?

No, Natural Deduction is a method of logical reasoning and does not involve any calculations. It is important to rely on your understanding of the rules and axioms rather than relying on a calculator or computer to solve problems.