Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Frequency of Spring

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    Hi

Natural frequency of spring is fn = 1/(2*pi) * sqrt(k/m), where k = spring constant and m is the mass.

Ok, so I have a spiral spring which means that spring is coiled couple of times. Its spring constant is (according to Hartog's Mech. Vibrations), k = E*I/l, E=Elastic Modulus, I = Inertia of cross section and l = length. All good at this point.

Now I straighten the coil so I get an cantilevered beam. Its natural frequency is (according Hartog):
    f = 1/(2*pi) * sqrt((3*E*I)/(l^3*m))

So assume we have a beam with 1 mm width and 10 mm height. Lets plug couple of values:
    E=22*10^9 Pa, I = b^3*h*1/12, b=1*10^-3 m, h= 10*10^-3 m, l = 40*10^-3 m
    m = 0.01 kg (just some value)
    f (spiral spring) = 1 Hz
    f (cantilevered beam) = 46.6 Hz (??)

Why is the natural frequency of the cantilever beam so much higher than the spiral spring? Am I using wrong equations?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

For a standard helical spring, Shigley states the stiffness is:
    [tex] k = \frac{d^4 G}{8D^3 N}[/tex]
    Where d is the wire diameter, G is the shear modulus, D is the spring diameter, and N is the number of coils. Your formula doesn't take into consideration the number of coils. May I ask where you got it from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook