1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Frequency Question

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    Suppose a sound wave with multiple natural frequencies--a complex sound wave--strikes Object A. Some of those frequencies matches the natural frequencies of Object A.

A) Will Object A vibrate at all the different frequencies or only to its natural frequencies?

B) If Object A vibrates at all the different frequencies, does it vibrate more vigorously to its natural frequencies? In other words, will the amplitude of vibration of its natural frequencies be greater than the other frequencies?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think it vibrates at all the frequencies, but the non-natural ones simply die off very quickly compared to the natural frequencies.

I believe so. That would appear to match the explanation given at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_frequency

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    If that is true Drakkith, then wouldn't Object A produce a different complex sound wave compared to the incident complex sound wave? Thus, the sound wave I would hear from Object A would be a modified version of the incident sound wave.

Thank you for replying.

5. Jun 12, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm not an expert in acoustics, but that sounds correct to me. I'm sure the details are pretty complicated though. Maybe someone with more experience in this area will chime in. (Hah! Chime in!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook