Natural Frequencies and Vibration Amplitudes of Object A

In summary, when a complex sound wave strikes Object A and some of its frequencies match the natural frequencies of Object A, the object will vibrate at all the frequencies but the non-natural ones will die off quickly. The amplitude of vibration of the natural frequencies will be greater, resulting in a modified version of the incident sound wave being produced by Object A.
Tam Le
Suppose a sound wave with multiple natural frequencies--a complex sound wave--strikes Object A. Some of those frequencies matches the natural frequencies of Object A.

A) Will Object A vibrate at all the different frequencies or only to its natural frequencies?

B) If Object A vibrates at all the different frequencies, does it vibrate more vigorously to its natural frequencies? In other words, will the amplitude of vibration of its natural frequencies be greater than the other frequencies?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tam Le said:
A) Will Object A vibrate at all the different frequencies or only to its natural frequencies?

I think it vibrates at all the frequencies, but the non-natural ones simply die off very quickly compared to the natural frequencies.

Tam Le said:
B) If Object A vibrates at all the different frequencies, does it vibrate more vigorously to its natural frequencies? In other words, will the amplitude of vibration of its natural frequencies be greater than the other frequencies?

I believe so. That would appear to match the explanation given at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_frequency

If that is true Drakkith, then wouldn't Object A produce a different complex sound wave compared to the incident complex sound wave? Thus, the sound wave I would hear from Object A would be a modified version of the incident sound wave.

Thank you for replying.

I'm not an expert in acoustics, but that sounds correct to me. I'm sure the details are pretty complicated though. Maybe someone with more experience in this area will chime in. (Hah! Chime in!)

What is natural frequency?

Natural frequency is the frequency at which an object or system vibrates when it is disturbed from its equilibrium position. It is determined by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the object or system.

How is natural frequency calculated?

Natural frequency can be calculated using the equation f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the stiffness, and m is the mass of the object or system. This equation is also known as the resonance frequency formula.

What is the significance of natural frequency?

Natural frequency is important in understanding the behavior of objects and systems that vibrate. It can help predict how an object will respond to different types of forces and how it may interact with other objects or systems.

What factors affect natural frequency?

The natural frequency of an object or system is affected by its mass, stiffness, and damping. Changes in any of these factors can alter the natural frequency and result in different vibrational behavior.

How can natural frequency be controlled or manipulated?

Natural frequency can be controlled or manipulated by changing the mass, stiffness, or damping of an object or system. This can be done through physical modifications or through external forces such as vibrations or sound waves.