1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural frequency

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the natural frequency
    2. Relevant equations

On picture
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Just need help with the equation of motion.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

So what are your initial equations? What does the harmonic motion of the block look like, and how is it affected by the part with the levers?

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3
    This is all the information I was given. The block is moving to the left but no values are given. The middle lever has a pin connection

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

berkeman

Well if you only had the spring on the right connected to the block, how would you calculate the resonant frequency? :smile:

6. Sep 17, 2015 #5
    Also, I know I have to use rF1+/-rF2=I(alpha) just not sure how

7. Sep 17, 2015 #6

berkeman

Where does that come from? Why do you think it is a way to get to the natural frequency of this block/lever/spring system?

8. Sep 17, 2015 #7
    I'm thinking that has to be part of the equation of motion for the block

9. Sep 17, 2015 #8
    If I only considered the spring on the right, I get a complex answer... ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1442533272.819472.jpg

10. Sep 17, 2015 #9

berkeman

I'll ask again -- what is the resonant frequency of just a single block and spring? -- EDIT -- I see you added that. :smile:

And then, what is the action of the lever and the lower spring? Does that force oppose or add to the motion of the block? What do the two sides of the vertical bar (on either side of the fulcrum) do to the level of the 2nd spring's force as applied to the block?

11. Sep 17, 2015 #10

berkeman

12. Sep 17, 2015 #11
  13. Sep 17, 2015 #12

berkeman

I believe the function of the vertical lever is like a lever arm -- it gives mechanical advantage. What significance does the ratio of a and b have?

14. Sep 17, 2015 #13
  15. Sep 17, 2015 #14

berkeman

I think you're on the right track, but look closer at how the force of the left spring is translated through the vertical lever & fulcrum...

If you grab ahold of the block and push it to the right, that compresses the right spring, correct? What does it do to the left spring at the same time? Are the springs working against each other or with each other? How does that change your differential equation? :smile:

16. Sep 17, 2015 #15
    If i move the block to the right that would also compress the k2 spring. Aren't the springs working against each other because of the lever? When one pulls in one direction, the other pulls in the opposite direction.

I know I'm missing something here but I can't seem to figure it out

17. Sep 17, 2015 #16

berkeman

You're doing fine. Moving the block to the right compresses both springs. So you might as well have one spring on the right only, with what overall spring constant? :smile:

18. Sep 17, 2015 #17
    Springs in series so 1/k +1/k2

19. Sep 17, 2015 #18

berkeman

Does putting springs in series make them stronger or weaker? Does putting springs in parallel make them stronger or weaker?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted