1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural group homomorphism

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G and G' be groups. Let H and H' be normal subgroups of G and G' respectively. Let
    f:G->G' be a group homomorphism.

Show that if f(H) is a subset of H', then there exists a natural homomorphism f*:(G/H)->(G'/H'). (Hint: This fact is used constatntly in algebraic topology.)

2. Relevant equations
    If X is a normal subgroup of a group Y, then the factor group Y/X can be formed where the group operation is coset multiplication.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the assumptions that H is normal in G, I showed that f(H) is a normal subgroup of f(G).

I formed the factor group f(G)/f(H) and defined a function f*:(G/H)->(f(G)/f(H)) by
    f*(aH) = (f(a))(f(H)) which turns out to be a homomorphism.

This seems like a "natural" thing to do, so I think I'm on the right track. The problem is that my function f* is not mapping to the right place: I don't think that f(G)/f(H) is a subset of G'/H'.

I also noticed that in proving the above, I did not make use of the hypotheses that H' is normal in G' or that f(H) is a subset of H'. Can these assumptions be used to show that
    f(H) = H'?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
    Sam

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2
    Admittedly, I haven't put anything down on paper here, but does a problem arise if you define your function as f*(aH) = f(a)H' ?

4. Jan 16, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you are on the right track. Try drawing a diagram. We have 3 maps: f:G->G', and the two natural projection maps G->G/H and G'->G'/H'. Try to make the diagram commute.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?