1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Group Homomorphism

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1
    What is it, and can you give me a few examples of how its used?

Thanks,
    Mary

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A homomorphism is simply a map between groups that respects the groupiness of the groups. (I don't know why Natural is there, that has a specific category theoretic definition that isn't necessary at this stage.)

I don't follow what you mean by "used". I could tell you abuot the properties of homomorphisms that are important. We just find them useful. I mean what's the "use" of a surjection, and injection, addition, division. Perhaps if you explain waht you wanted to know in terms of how you "use" those then we could say more. 1

4. Apr 3, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe by "natural" he means something like the projection G --> G/K?

One example you've probably used quite a bit is the homomorphism from Z to Zp that maps an integer to the corresponding integer mod p.

5. Apr 4, 2005 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

heres a little example comprising both matt's categorical point and hurkyls example.

suppose you have a group map from Z to a group G and suppose that n goes to the identity e. then there is an induced map from Z/n to G such that the composition

Z-->Z/n-->G equals the original map Z-->G.

this is a naturality property of the map Z/n-->G.

Another one is that if G-->H is another group homomorphism, then n will still go to e under the composition Z-->G-->H, and the natrual map Z/n--H will equal the composition Z/n-->G-->H.

the fact that the construction of the map Z/n-->(anything), [factoring the map Z-->(anything)], behaves well under composition, is the categorical naturality property.

It is so natural that I did not bother to check it here, it just has to be true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?