Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Log of negative number

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1
    I've got a simple question that's been bugging me for a while. I think I know where the problem is, I'd just like a formal mathematical reason why I can't say this:

[tex] \ln{(-1)}^2 = \ln(1) = 0 [/tex]

That part is fine...but then:

[tex] \ln{(-1)}^2 = 2 \ln(-1) = 2 (i \pi) [/tex]

when they should obviously be equal.

It presumably displays the fact that you can't take the square and put it in front of the log as a "2" when you're dealing with logs of negative numbers. I'd like to know if there's any formal theory behind why this can't be done.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you're running into is the fact that [itex]\ln z[/itex] is multi-valued. Define [itex]\ln z[/itex] as the contour integral

[tex]\ln z = \int_{\gamma} \frac{d\zeta}{\zeta}[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is some contour running from 1 to z.

Now, note that for each time the contour [itex]\gamma[/itex] winds around the origin in a positive sense, you get [itex]2\pi i[/itex] added to the integral (you can show this by the method of residues). Therefore, [itex]\ln z[/itex] is multivalued:

[tex]\ln z = \ln_p z + 2n\pi i[/tex]

where [itex]\ln_p z[/itex] is the principle value, and [itex]n[/itex] is any integer.

4. Dec 15, 2007 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A simple way of seeing this is noting that exp(2n[pi]i)=1. Therefore ln(1)=2n[pi]i where n is any integer.

5. Dec 15, 2007 #4
    Ah great! That makes perfect sense.

So the natural log of 1 is, infact, multivalued if you allow a mapping to the complex plane?

Thanks for cleaning that up anyway Ben & mathman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?