1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural log problem

1. Jul 25, 2007 #1
    Problem: If [tex]2^{x}=3[/tex], what does 3^x equal?

I solved this by taking the [tex]log_{2}[/tex] of both sides. However, the book's solution involves taking the natural log of both sides. Can someone show me why that would work? I don't get what the x power changes to a x term. The natural log is base 10 right?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What exactly are you asking? If 23, what..... means nothing.

Do you mean:

[itex] 2^3 = x [/itex] then what does [itex]3^x[/itex] equal?

4. Jul 25, 2007 #3
    My bad... I've edited the problem

5. Jul 25, 2007 #4
    Also, someone please answer this question. How come: [tex]\sqrt{(-2)^{2}}=2[/tex]??

This is very mind boogling because (-2)^2=4 and the square root of 4 is 2... but, why is it wrong to simplify just by canceling out the power of 2 with the square root? I've always done it that way... =/

6. Jul 25, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok no probs.

Because exponentials are defined in terms of the exponential function (hence the name) and the natural logarithm is the inverse to the exponential function, it is easy to write a logarithm to the base of any number in terms of natural logs. For example, we define [itex]\log_a (x)=y[/itex] to be the inverse of [itex] x= a^y[/itex]. But from our knowledge of exponentials we can say:

[tex]x=a^y=e^{y\ln (a)} \rightarrow \ln(x)=y\ln(a) \rightarrow y=\frac{\ln (x)}{\ln (a)} [/tex]

7. Jul 25, 2007 #6
    The mistake that many people make (especially those in physics, because math majors look out for such mistakes) is that [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex]. That is wrong. For example, if [tex]x=(-2)^2[/tex] then [tex]\sqrt{(-2)^2}=2[/tex].

The correct version states that,
    [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/tex].

8. Jul 25, 2007 #7

So [tex]ln[/tex] is basically equal to [tex]log_{e}[/tex] right? What is [tex]e^{log_{e}}[/tex]??

9. Jul 25, 2007 #8
    Is there any reason why you can't just take cancel the sqrt. and power of 2? It is different for cube roots and cube powers right?

So the 4th root of (-4)^4 is equal to 4 right?

10. Jul 25, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, ln is a shorthand for natural log or loge. The natural logarithm is the inverse function of the exponential function and thus:

[tex] e^{\ln a} = a[/tex]

11. Jul 25, 2007 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I didn't see in your original post that you asked if natural log was log to the base ten. Natural log is log to the base e.

12. Jul 25, 2007 #11
    What Kummer said was correct about the absolute value of two. You can't just cancel it out, you may cancel it out though if it is (square root of x)^2 as long as the radical symbol is inside the parentheses then you may cancel out.

13. Jul 26, 2007 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Getting back to the first question:
    If 2x= 3, then log(2x)= x log(2)= log(3) so
    [tex]x= \frac{log(3)}{log(2)}[/itex]

Now, 3x= 3log(3)/log(2).

That isn't going to be any simple number (it's about 5.7).

14. Jul 26, 2007 #13

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Yup, exactly. Well, since y = x3 is a 1-to-1 function, i.e, for every [tex]x_0 \neq x_1[/tex], we'll obtain: [tex]y_0 = x_0 ^ 3 \neq y_1 = x_1 ^ 3[/tex], so given one y, we can find only one x such that y = x3.

But y = 2 is a different thing. 2 numbers a, and -a, are different (for a <> 0), but when squared, they'll become: (a2) = a2, and (-a)2 = (-1)2 a2 = a2, so, we have: [tex](a) ^ 2 = (-a) ^ 2 = a ^ 2[/tex]. So, for any y (not 0), there'll be 2 different x's, one positive, one negative, such that, when squared, they'll give y.

Say, y = 4, then 2 x's are 2, and -2.

Square root function will only return the non-negative value.

Say, we have: y = 4, so sqrt(y) = 2; k = 16 ~~> sqrt(k) = 4.

So, in general, we have: [tex]\sqrt{a ^ 2} = |a|[/tex]

To take the negative value, we can assign the minus sign in front of it, like this:

[tex]t = 36 \Rightarrow - \sqrt{t} = -6[/tex]

-------------------------

And it's the same for even-th root, like: [tex]\sqrt[4]{x ^ 4} = |x| , \ \sqrt[6]{x ^ 6} = |x|, ...[/tex], blah, blah, blah, so on. :)

Hope that's clear. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?