1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural logarithm homework

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    i have a problem plz help

[​IMG]

Who can solve this for me?!?!?!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

We don't give out answers here on the PF. You need to show us your own work before we can offer tutorial help.

What are your thoughts on how to approach this problem?

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    i can do it but i need the primitive of sin x and thats my problem, the rest of the problem i can solve , i just only cant manage to discover de primitive of sin x

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Is that a logarithm of base 10 or the natural logarithm?

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

The indefinite integral doesn't appear to have an elementary solution. So I'm thinking there must be something special about the definite integral.

7. Jun 16, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is basically a trick. There is no elementary primitive. Here's a clue. Change the range of integration to 0 to pi/2 and call the integral I. Then you want -2*I. Now observe the integral of log(cos(x)) is also I. That's the clue. Add integral log(sin(x)) and log(cos(x)) and use a rule of logarithms and a trig identity and a u-substitution. Now you got an equation with a bunch of I's in it. Can you solve for I?

8. Jun 17, 2008 #7
    Integrate by partial fraction.

9. Jun 18, 2008 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

how come if you change from pi to pi/2, the integral is doubled? I get that if the integrand was just sinx but isn't lnsinx something entirely different?

10. Jun 18, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ln(sin(x)) is just as symmetric as sin(x). The integral of it from 0->pi/2 is half the integral of it from 0->pi.

11. Jun 18, 2008 #10

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

oh ok then...I thought the graphs were very different.

12. Jun 18, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are very different. But they are still symmetric around x=pi/2. Did you solve the problem? It's really not that hard if you put your mind to it and know the secret hint. I only knew it because I've seen this problem before.

13. Jun 18, 2008 #12

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I only solved it based on your hints but I didn't know it was symmetric at pi/2. But how you knew to change the limits of integration beats me

14. Jun 18, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because cos(x) is negative between pi/2 and pi. So log(cos(x)) isn't defined. It just seemed neater to restrict the range rather than put an absolute value in. That's all.

15. Jun 19, 2008 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely, you didn't get to where you are being expect to solve problems like this without learning that the derivative of cos x is -sin x??

16. Jun 20, 2008 #15
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?