1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Logarithm Laws

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    How does
    (ln(x))^(1/x)=ln(x^(1/x))?

A friend told me this was a true statement but could'nt prove it. If that isn't true, then how would you find the lim x->0 of (ln(x))^(1/x) using L'Hospital's Rule?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't, in general. It does if x = 1.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For example, if x= 2, ln(2)= 0.69315, approximately so [itex](ln(2))^{1/2}= 0.83255[/itex]. But [itex]2^{1/2}= 1.41421[/itex] so [itex]ln(2^{1/2})= 0.34657. Not at all the same.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For example, if x= 2, then ln(2)= 0.69315, approximately, and [itex](ln(2))^{1/2}= 0.83255.

But [itex]2^{1/2}= 1.41421[/itex] and so [itex]ln(2^{1/2})= 0.34657. Not at all the same.

As for the entire problem of finding the limit, as x goes to 0, of [itex](ln(x))^{1/x}[/itex], I see a serious difficulty: as soon as x< 1, ln(x)< 0 and fractional powers of negative numbers are not defined.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    That's what I thought, but my friend insisted that it was true. I've been rattling my brain for about 2 days on that one, so I decided to ask here. So can you help me with limit I mentioned in my first post? I typed it wrong in the first post its the limit as x approaches infinity not zero. I can see from graphing it that it's going to come out to one, but I don't know how to use L'Hopistal's Rule to solve for it. If I try to evaluate it without changing anything I get something like [tex]\infty0[/tex] which would be one if it isn't indeterminant, I don't remember if it is or isn't. Anyways, I'm supposed to use L'Hosp. Rule and I don't know how to write the limit as a fraction to use L'Hopistal's Rule though.

7. Nov 16, 2009 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

General formula: ln(ab)=(b)ln(a)
    For your formula: ln(x1/x)=(1/x)ln(x)

As for the L'Hopital rule question, you don't need it, since the expression goes to (-∞), which is ∞, with an ambiguous sign.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. Nov 16, 2009 #7
    The original equation is [ln(x)]^(1/x) not ln(x^(1/x)).

9. Nov 17, 2009 #8
    ...and the original equation was incorrect, so mathman gave something correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook