What is the Correct Form of the Natural Logarithm Law for (ln(x))^(1/x)?

In summary: But if the original equation had been correct, then (ln(x))^(1/x) would not, in general, be equal to ln(x^(1/x)).In summary, the statement that (ln(x))^(1/x)=ln(x^(1/x)) does not hold true in general. While it may be true for certain values of x, it is not a universal truth. Additionally, when trying to find the limit of (ln(x))^(1/x) as x approaches 0 using L'Hospital's Rule, there are issues with using fractional powers of negative numbers. For the alternate problem of finding the limit as x approaches infinity, it can be solved without L'Hospital's Rule by using the general formula ln(ab
Towk667
How does
(ln(x))^(1/x)=ln(x^(1/x))?

A friend told me this was a true statement but could'nt prove it. If that isn't true, then how would you find the lim x->0 of (ln(x))^(1/x) using L'Hospital's Rule?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Towk667 said:
How does
(ln(x))^(1/x)=ln(x^(1/x))?

It doesn't, in general. It does if x = 1.

For example, if x= 2, ln(2)= 0.69315, approximately so [itex](ln(2))^{1/2}= 0.83255[/itex]. But [itex]2^{1/2}= 1.41421[/itex] so [itex]ln(2^{1/2})= 0.34657. Not at all the same.

For example, if x= 2, then ln(2)= 0.69315, approximately, and [itex](ln(2))^{1/2}= 0.83255.

But [itex]2^{1/2}= 1.41421[/itex] and so [itex]ln(2^{1/2})= 0.34657. Not at all the same.

As for the entire problem of finding the limit, as x goes to 0, of [itex](ln(x))^{1/x}[/itex], I see a serious difficulty: as soon as x< 1, ln(x)< 0 and fractional powers of negative numbers are not defined.

That's what I thought, but my friend insisted that it was true. I've been rattling my brain for about 2 days on that one, so I decided to ask here. So can you help me with limit I mentioned in my first post? I typed it wrong in the first post its the limit as x approaches infinity not zero. I can see from graphing it that it's going to come out to one, but I don't know how to use L'Hopistal's Rule to solve for it. If I try to evaluate it without changing anything I get something like [tex]\infty0[/tex] which would be one if it isn't indeterminant, I don't remember if it is or isn't. Anyways, I'm supposed to use L'Hosp. Rule and I don't know how to write the limit as a fraction to use L'Hopistal's Rule though.

General formula: ln(ab)=(b)ln(a)
For your formula: ln(x1/x)=(1/x)ln(x)

As for the L'Hopital rule question, you don't need it, since the expression goes to (-∞), which is ∞, with an ambiguous sign.

Last edited:
mathman said:
General formula: ln(ab)=(b)ln(a)
For your formula: ln(x1/x)=(1/x)ln(x)

As for the L'Hopital rule question, you don't need it, since the expression goes to (-∞), which is ∞, with an ambiguous sign.

The original equation is [ln(x)]^(1/x) not ln(x^(1/x)).

Towk667 said:
The original equation is [ln(x)]^(1/x) not ln(x^(1/x)).

...and the original equation was incorrect, so mathman gave something correct.

What is a natural logarithm?

A natural logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the inverse function of an exponential function. It is written as ln(x) and is used to find the power to which the base must be raised to produce a given number.

What are the basic rules of natural logarithms?

The basic rules of natural logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and the change of base rule. These rules help simplify and solve logarithmic equations.

How do you simplify natural logarithmic expressions?

To simplify natural logarithmic expressions, you can use the basic rules of natural logarithms. This involves expanding the expression using the product and quotient rules, and then simplifying the resulting expression using the power and change of base rules.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

The main difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms is the base of the logarithm. Natural logarithms have a base of e, which is approximately 2.718, while common logarithms have a base of 10. This means that natural logarithms are used to solve equations involving natural exponential functions, while common logarithms are used to solve equations involving base 10 exponential functions.

How are natural logarithms used in real life?

Natural logarithms are used in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze exponential growth and decay, as well as to solve equations involving compound interest and population growth. They are also used in statistics to calculate probabilities and to transform data to fit a normal distribution.