1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Logarithm

1. Aug 31, 2015 #1
    upload_2015-8-31_15-9-38.png
    are they equal?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

The first is hard to recognize, but I would take them both as the fourth power of the natural logarithm of (x+3).

The fact they use ln instead of log is decisive.

The first notation is to be avoided: there are already two notations for the base of a logarithm: ##^e\log y## and ##\log_e y## for ##\ln y## and this looks too much like a third notation for the same, which it is NOT.

4. Aug 31, 2015 #3
    when i tried it on symbolab.com i subtract them both and i'd come up with answer of 0

does that mean they are equal?

5. Aug 31, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I don't acknowledge that kind of authority in a website. But yes, they are equal for the reason that they describe one and the same thing: the fourth power of the natural logarithm of (x+3).

6. Aug 31, 2015 #5
    ok, thank you very much

7. Aug 31, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Just for the record, I have never seen this notation -- ##^e\log y##. By "never" I mean in the past 55+ years. That's not to say that someone hasn't used it somewhere, but if so, it's certainly not in common usage. The notation ##\log_e y## is rarely used, since ##\ln y## is defined to mean log, base e, of y.

If someone were to write ##\log^4 (x + 3)##, I would interpret this to mean the same as ##(\log(x + 3))^4## following the usual shorthand as used in powers of trig functions. I would also interpret the log base to be 10, but in some contexts the implied log base could be e or possibly 2, in computer science textbooks.

8. Aug 31, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I now miss how you DO write ##^4\log 16 = 2## ? With the rarely used notation ?

Writing ##^4\log 16## is pretty common in Europe...

Ah, wait, of course ##
    ^e\log y ## is rarely used because ##\ln y## exists. In fact ##
    \log y =\ ^e\log y\ ## for a lot of decent people (mathematicians, for one) :smile: !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook