Understanding the Relationship Between Natural Logarithms and Their Reciprocals

I said "This is equivalent to the equation ##e = a^y##." Sorry about that. So the conversion formula for logs turns into:##\frac 1 {\log_a(e)} = \frac 1 {\frac 1 {\log_e(a)}} = \log_e(a) \frac 1 1 = \log_e(a)##, where the second step involves multiplying by 1, since ##\frac 1 {\log_e(a)} ## is equivalent to 1.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

1/loga(e) = loge(a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

how they are reciprocals of each other ? is their any longer but intuative way to show this result

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean:
[tex]\frac{1}{\log_a(e)} = \log_e(a)[/tex]

Likes alijan kk
phyzguy said:
I think you mean:
[tex]\frac{1}{\log_a(e)} = \log_e(a)[/tex]
yes sir i mean that

alijan kk said:
how they are reciprocals of each other ? is their any longer but intuative way to show this result

##a^{\log_a(e)}=e##, right? Just take ##\log_e## of both sides.

There's an important part missing from your problem statement:
alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

Prove that[/B] 1/loga(e) = loge(a)
Along the lines of Dick's hint are these relationships:
##y = \log_a(x) \Leftrightarrow x = a^y##
I.e., the two equations are equivalent: any pair of values (x, y) that satisfies the first equation also satisfies the second equation, and vice versa.

Likes scottdave and alijan kk
Mark44 said:
There's an important part missing from your problem statement:

Along the lines of Dick's hint are these relationships:
##y = \log_a(x) \Leftrightarrow x = a^y##
I.e., the two equations are equivalent: any pair of values (x, y) that satisfies the first equation also satisfies the second equation, and vice versa.
Here is a way that I like to remember it. When I see ##y = \log_a(x) ## and want to convert it to something like ##x = a^y,## I use this to help remember.

Think of log base 10. So we have ##y = \log_{10}(1000) ##. This is pretty easy, there are 3 zeros and the answer is y = 3. The log is equivalent to the exponent.
We have 103 = 1000.

scottdave said:
The log is equivalent to the exponent.
Not only that -- a logarithm is by definition an exponent. Specifically, ##\log_a(x)## represents the exponent on a that produces x.
Using your example, ##\log_{10}(1000) = 3## because ##10^3 = 1000##.

Likes scottdave
I think the relation in the problem statement is true for all positive real a and e. I found this rather difficult to prove. I had to go to a spreadsheet and plug in some values to convince myself it was true. My proof starts with the statement "a=a." Then I substitute an exponential for a on the left hand side. I think I am not supposed to give the full solution here. Good luck! :)

Gene Naden said:
I think the relation in the problem statement is true for all positive real a and e.
It wasn't stated in the first post, but the equation is an identity. Yes, it is true for all a > 0, and e is "the natural number," approximately 2.718.

Gene Naden said:
I found this rather difficult to prove.
It's not difficult to prove. Let ##y = \log_a(e)##. This is equivalent to the equation ##e = a^y##. Substitute for e in the expression on the left side of the original equation, ##\frac 1 {log_a(e)}##, and within a couple of steps you end up with the expression on the right side.

Likes alijan kk and scottdave
You can convert a log of one base to another base. I'm on my phone so I'm not sure if I can do LateX correctly though. If you have log(x) in base b. You can calculate it by LN(x) / LN(b), where LN is the natural log (log base e)

Likes alijan kk
So using that, substitute LN(e) for 1.

Oops, I meant loga(a) = 1

1. What is a natural logarithm?

A natural logarithm (ln) is a mathematical function that calculates the exponent needed to produce a given number, using the base number e as the logarithm's base. It is the inverse of the exponential function, where the base number e is raised to a given power.

2. What is the relationship between natural logarithms and their reciprocals?

The relationship between natural logarithms and their reciprocals is that they are the inverse of each other. In other words, the natural logarithm of a number is equal to the negative reciprocal of the number's reciprocal. For example, ln(2) = -1/2 and ln(1/2) = -2.

3. How do you calculate the reciprocal of a natural logarithm?

To calculate the reciprocal of a natural logarithm, you can simply take the negative exponent of the natural logarithm. For example, the reciprocal of ln(3) is 1/3 and the reciprocal of ln(1/4) is 4.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding the relationship between natural logarithms and their reciprocals?

The relationship between natural logarithms and their reciprocals is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in solving exponential growth and decay problems, calculating interest rates, and in analyzing data that follows a logarithmic pattern.

5. How can understanding natural logarithms and their reciprocals help in solving complex equations?

Understanding the relationship between natural logarithms and their reciprocals can help in solving complex equations by allowing for the simplification of equations involving logarithmic functions. By using the properties of logarithms, such as the power rule and the product rule, equations can be rearranged and simplified to make them easier to solve.