1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Logarithms

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lnx+ ln(x-1) = 1

solve each equation for x

2. Relevant equations

ln(e^x) = x
    e^lnx = x

3. The attempt at a solution

x + (x-1) = e^1 [==> using ln(e^x) = x]
    from this point on, I am stuck because I am having trouble isolating x because of the x that is in the brackets.

-Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    Remember the logarithm property
    ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab)

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Bohrok,

Thank you. For some reason I always assumed that the logarithm laws such as log(x/y)= log x-logy etc, could not be applied to natural logarithms. I guess questions like that never really came up.

So using ln(ab) = lna + lnb

I get,

lnx + ln(x-1) = 1
    ln(x2-x) = 1

so e1 = x2-x

Am I missing a step? I still cannot isolate x to solve for it. I think I may be jumping in a little too early for the cancellation rule.

-Thanks in advance

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    The properties of logarithms work with any positive number base (I believe), at least with most numbers you come across, like 10 and e.

What you have now is a quadratic equation with an x2 term, so use the quadratic formula after you set the equation equal to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook