1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural logs (e) problem

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

e^x - e^-x all divided by 2 = -1
    express answer in natural logs

2. Relevant equations

No equations, just properties of logs and natural logs

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I multiplied everything by 2

e^x - e^-x = -2

then i took the natural log of both sides and brought down the exponent

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = -2

so you can simplify that i think to

2xLn(e) = -2

so x= -2/(2Lne)

which Lne is 1 so

x=-2/1

x=-2?

I don't think thats right because it says express answer in natural logs so it should simplify out that easily.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2
    I think you missed something.

When you turn
    e^x - e^-x = -2

into

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = -2

the -2 is part of it too. So it should be

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = Ln(-2)

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately you are both wrong. You can't just "turn e^x- e^-x= -2 into Ln(e^x)+ Ln(e^-x)".

You can't "take the natural logarithm of both sides because, as sourlemon said, you must also take the natural logarithm of -2 and that is not defined: the domain of Ln(x)is "all positive x". Even if it were +2 on the right side, Ln(x+ y) is NOT Ln(x)+ Ln(y).

Instead, go back to e^x- e^-x= -2 and multiply both sides by e^x: (e^x)^2- 1= 2(e^x) or y^2- 1= 2y (taking y= e^x) so y^2- 2y= 1. You can solve that by completing the square on the left: y^2- 2y+ 1= (y-1)^2= 2 so y= [itex]1\pm\sqrt{2}[/itex].
    Once you have [itex]e^x= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/itex], then take the Ln of both sides. (Do you see why [itex]e^x= 1- \sqrt{2}[/itex] is not possible?

I beat you Compuchip!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  5. Nov 11, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also note that in general, log(a + b) is not equal to log(a) + log(b). For example, log(1 + 0) = log(1) = 0 =/= log(1) + log(0) = [itex]-\infty[/itex]. There is just a rule saying that log(a * b) = log(a) + log(b). Instead, multiply both sides by [itex]e^x[/itex] and first solve it for [itex]y = e^x[/itex] as a quadratic expression. Then you can take the logarithm.

[edit]Wow, you are fast :smile:[/edit]

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5
    I think you can't do [itex]e^x= 1- \sqrt{2}[/itex] because it would be a negative answer and logs have to be greater than zero.

I understand how you solved the problem but I was never taught to do it that way, are there other way to solve the problem other than completing the square?

Is it possible to factor it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?