1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Logs with Limits

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    Can someone explain to me how they get last line to work out?
    I am confused on how they're using natural log with limit problems.

Thanks for the help!

:)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

pics always take a while to clear, you;re better writing it up if you can

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    Didn't realize that. Sorry. :)

mathquestion1.jpg

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    which equality in particular are you having a problem with? Or is it the introduction of the natural logarithm on the left-hand side?

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    I am having trouble with why he choose to let y what it does and how we went on from there.
    How did he get

ln ((x+3)(x+1)/(1/x))

7. Oct 17, 2009 #6
    This makes each term in the sequence y(x). It is also trivial that y(x) = eln(y(x)), which, in this case, is easier to study. He made use of the logarithm rule: ln(ax) = xln(a), and algebra: x = 1/(1/x), provided x is not 0.
    Many limits are easily solved if you can find a clever rewriting of the algebraic expression like this.

8. Oct 17, 2009 #7
    How did he arrive at the 2x^2 / (x+3)(x+1) step? Is there something I'm missing he did when he took the limit to infinity?

9. Oct 17, 2009 #8
    The second limit gives us the indeterminate form 0/0, which makes it valid to use L'Hôpital's rule. This was the point of writing x as 1/(1/x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook