Understanding the Derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter nothing123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary: You have to be careful when entering functions into your computer of calculator, if in doubt use brackets and plenty of them!:tongue:
nothing123
just wanted to know how i would differentiate y = ln(x^2 - 1)^3x

i thought id first bring the 3x out in front and then do product rule but i don't think that yielded the right answer (i don't know the right answer btw but it didnt look right)

y' = 3 ln(x^2-1) + 6x^2/(x^2-1)

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing123 said:
just wanted to know how i would differentiate y = ln(x^2 - 1)^3x

i thought id first bring the 3x out in front and then do product rule but i don't think that yielded the right answer (i don't know the right answer btw but it didnt look right)

y' = 3 ln(x^2-1) + 6x^2/(x^2-1)
Your method is correct as is your answer. Why do you say that it doesn't look right?

is that the most simplified form?

i graphed the original function using some graphing software and automatically found what the derivative graph is supposed to look like. i then graphed the derivative i found and they did not match (two different functions). maybe i just entered it incorrectly, the graphing software is extremely picky about order of operations, brackets and all that...

Last edited:
Is that suppposed to be:

[tex]y=(\ln(x^2+1))^{3x}[/tex]

? If so, its probably easiest to take the ln again, so you get:

[tex]\ln(y)=3x\ln(\ln(x^2+1))[/tex]

And then differentiate both sides, using the chain rule on the RHS, and then solve for dy/dx (plug back in for y).

Last edited:
nothing123 said:
is that the most simplified form?

i graphed the original function using some graphing software and automatically found what the derivative graph is supposed to look like. i then graphed the derivative i found and they did not match (two different functions).
I would consider that the most simplified form. Well, I differentiated by hand, then integrated to check it and arrived at the original solution. Are you sure you entered the correct function in you software? (I used the same method as you btw)

StatusX: yes that is correct function. i doubt we had to do the method you described simply because we really never did any like that in class.

Hootenanny: hey now I've got it! i tried a few variations. i had to enter the original function like this y = ln((x^2 - 1)^(3x)) - i hope that's still the same function...

I edited the post, but it appears it wasn't the function I thought. In that case, yes, your method and answer are correct.

nothing123 said:
Hootenanny: hey now I've got it! i tried a few variations. i had to enter the original function like this y = ln((x^2 - 1)^(3x)) - i hope that's still the same function...
Yes that's the same function;

[tex]y = \ln\left|(x^2 - 1)^{3x}\right|[/tex]

You have to be careful when entering functions into your computer of calculator, if in doubt use brackets and plenty of them!:tongue:

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of understanding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x?

The purpose of understanding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x is to be able to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This is important in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, as it allows us to analyze how a quantity changes with respect to another variable.

2. What is the general formula for finding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x?

The general formula for finding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x is d/dx[ln(u)^n] = (n/u)(du/dx), where u is the function inside the natural logarithm and du/dx is the derivative of u with respect to x.

3. What are the steps to finding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x?

The steps to finding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x are as follows:

1. Apply the power rule to the exponent of the natural logarithm function.
  2. Apply the chain rule to the function inside the natural logarithm.
  3. Combine the two results to get the final derivative.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x?

Yes, for example, to find the derivative of ln(2x^2-1)^3x, we would follow these steps:

1. d/dx[ln(u)^n] = (n/u)(du/dx) = 3(1/u)(du/dx) = 3(1/(2x^2-1))(4x) = (12x)/(2x^2-1)
  2. du/dx = 4x
  3. Final derivative = 3(4x)/(2x^2-1) = (12x)/(2x^2-1)

5. How can understanding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x be applied in the real world?

Understanding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x can be applied in many real-world scenarios. For example, in economics, it can be used to analyze the marginal cost of production, in physics, it can be used to calculate the rate of change of velocity, and in engineering, it can be used to optimize the efficiency of a system. Essentially, understanding the derivative of ln(x^2-1)^3x allows us to model and predict how a quantity changes over time, which is crucial in many scientific fields.